Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are you in a parenting rut?

Posted by   + Show Post

How are those ruts going? We are attempting breaking free from a few of the most popular kind of icky routines we fall into, the rut when we get into that lulled comfort zone, the rut that often transforms into a plateau. A boring Life plateau.

How about that parenting rut? Even when we are tackling the various challenges every day and juggling a gazillion schedules and tasks, it can be a rut. As if we are on a parenting hamster wheel, forever just going, with the same frustrations of getting to school on time or the soccer game carpools or making lunches or getting the right size shoes.

When I just keep jogging on that parenting wheel, I feel that lose touch of being "in the moment," and I'm not connect with my kiddo or being purposeful with my parenting. Yeah, not fun, feeling this parenting rut. What should we do?

-- Make a list of things you love to do with your kids - and those things you do not like to do with them. Now, I can't always just do all of those things on the "love list" and I know I can't avoid the "not like list," but this gives me a good way to take a gander at what I'm spending the most time on...which list is winning the time war? If it isn't the "love to do list," then maybe I need to make more time to do those things.

-- Take a mommy break. Often, I feel in a rut when I've been working non-stop at something. And parenting is a 24-7 job. Find time for you, even 15 minutes. Even better would be an afternoon just for you. Chances are, when your break is over, you won't feel as rut-ish (is that a word?).

-- Change the routine. Even a little bit. Instead of doing errands in the morning, do them in the afternoon and play after breakfast. Instead of saving the fun stuff like movie night for the weekend, do it on a Wednesday night or serve your usual Friday night pizza on Monday. These little switches in routine can shake up that rut and get everyone in a different mindset.

Do you ever feel in a parenting rut? Share your stories here and what you do it swtich it up!

©iStockphoto.com/ mediaphotos

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
aneela
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM

we enjoy going over to playdates at his little buddies house

alliesmom112
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM
We like to change it up on the weekends especially. We are busy all week so I like to surprise her with special trips and things on Saturdays.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM
My dd loves play dates.

Quoting aneela:

we enjoy going over to playdates at his little buddies house

alliesmom112
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM
We try to do the same thing. We love to go to our local museums and parks

Quoting 4kidz916:

At one point I did feel like I was in a parenting rut.  I just decided that my kids would only be kids once and that I needed to take the time to make that special for them and for me.  We don't have a large budget to go out and fun with so we make the simple things fun.

4kidz916
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM

That sounds like a lot of fun.

Quoting alliesmom112:

We like to change it up on the weekends especially. We are busy all week so I like to surprise her with special trips and things on Saturdays.

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Good idea! We try to walk to the nearby school ground playground when the weather is warmer.

Quoting .Angelica.:

I'm going to try to make it a point to take the kids to the park at least a few times a week once the weather gets nice. we finally have one within walking distance. it will be a good change of pace for everyone.

mommythree0508
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:59 AM
Nope
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I need to take more of a break for myself. Lately I feel a bit overwhelmed. As a family, we are good about finding new adventures together. 

Truelove77
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Today hubby had to work so I let the girls go outside and play in the park 1 hour to myself and I would occasionally look and make sure the girls were ok every mom needs a little break.

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I don't feel like I'm in a parenting rut. Although we do have a routine, everyday still ends up being different somehow. Our routine is very loose and we get things done when we can around here :).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)