Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are you in a parenting rut?

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 50 Replies
1 mom liked this

How are those ruts going? We are attempting breaking free from a few of the most popular kind of icky routines we fall into, the rut when we get into that lulled comfort zone, the rut that often transforms into a plateau. A boring Life plateau.

How about that parenting rut? Even when we are tackling the various challenges every day and juggling a gazillion schedules and tasks, it can be a rut. As if we are on a parenting hamster wheel, forever just going, with the same frustrations of getting to school on time or the soccer game carpools or making lunches or getting the right size shoes.

When I just keep jogging on that parenting wheel, I feel that lose touch of being "in the moment," and I'm not connect with my kiddo or being purposeful with my parenting. Yeah, not fun, feeling this parenting rut. What should we do?

-- Make a list of things you love to do with your kids - and those things you do not like to do with them. Now, I can't always just do all of those things on the "love list" and I know I can't avoid the "not like list," but this gives me a good way to take a gander at what I'm spending the most time on...which list is winning the time war? If it isn't the "love to do list," then maybe I need to make more time to do those things.

-- Take a mommy break. Often, I feel in a rut when I've been working non-stop at something. And parenting is a 24-7 job. Find time for you, even 15 minutes. Even better would be an afternoon just for you. Chances are, when your break is over, you won't feel as rut-ish (is that a word?).

-- Change the routine. Even a little bit. Instead of doing errands in the morning, do them in the afternoon and play after breakfast. Instead of saving the fun stuff like movie night for the weekend, do it on a Wednesday night or serve your usual Friday night pizza on Monday. These little switches in routine can shake up that rut and get everyone in a different mindset.

Do you ever feel in a parenting rut? Share your stories here and what you do it swtich it up!

©iStockphoto.com/ mediaphotos

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:23 AM

We hang out and have tea parties, or take a random break.  Last week the girls and I had to run errands in town, so we dropped by the cheap seats and took in a movie.  We can only do that kind of thing on the weekend though, because our theaters don't have any kid appropriate matinees during the week - very frustrating.

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM

No I don't think I am in a parenting rut. Most things are the same, but I really like a routine that we can all live with. We do things different at least every Saturday. We are going ice skating this weekend after we get our taxes done.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM

No, my dd keeps things active.

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Nope... My kids ages varies too much for this. I have to change things up

aneela
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM

i dont think we are in a rut just yet....not with homeschooling esp

sukainah
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Yes, I think it's just me that it totally in a rut and it makes everything else get into a rut too.  My kids need me more.  But tomorrow we are going to a Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby event, so they might have fun there.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM

You are right, a routine is good and then you add the Saturday activities to the mix and it makes it all good.

Quoting natesmom1228:

No I don't think I am in a parenting rut. Most things are the same, but I really like a routine that we can all live with. We do things different at least every Saturday. We are going ice skating this weekend after we get our taxes done.

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I have been feeling in a rut with this lately and so I have been trying to take more time out to just have fun with the kids and not have to be doing something specific. 

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I'm going to try to make it a point to take the kids to the park at least a few times a week once the weather gets nice. we finally have one within walking distance. it will be a good change of pace for everyone.

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM

We change the routine and then I call some Saturdays as do nothing days so we get down time together. =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement