Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are you in a parenting rut?

Posted by   + Show Post

How are those ruts going? We are attempting breaking free from a few of the most popular kind of icky routines we fall into, the rut when we get into that lulled comfort zone, the rut that often transforms into a plateau. A boring Life plateau.

How about that parenting rut? Even when we are tackling the various challenges every day and juggling a gazillion schedules and tasks, it can be a rut. As if we are on a parenting hamster wheel, forever just going, with the same frustrations of getting to school on time or the soccer game carpools or making lunches or getting the right size shoes.

When I just keep jogging on that parenting wheel, I feel that lose touch of being "in the moment," and I'm not connect with my kiddo or being purposeful with my parenting. Yeah, not fun, feeling this parenting rut. What should we do?

-- Make a list of things you love to do with your kids - and those things you do not like to do with them. Now, I can't always just do all of those things on the "love list" and I know I can't avoid the "not like list," but this gives me a good way to take a gander at what I'm spending the most time on...which list is winning the time war? If it isn't the "love to do list," then maybe I need to make more time to do those things.

-- Take a mommy break. Often, I feel in a rut when I've been working non-stop at something. And parenting is a 24-7 job. Find time for you, even 15 minutes. Even better would be an afternoon just for you. Chances are, when your break is over, you won't feel as rut-ish (is that a word?).

-- Change the routine. Even a little bit. Instead of doing errands in the morning, do them in the afternoon and play after breakfast. Instead of saving the fun stuff like movie night for the weekend, do it on a Wednesday night or serve your usual Friday night pizza on Monday. These little switches in routine can shake up that rut and get everyone in a different mindset.

Do you ever feel in a parenting rut? Share your stories here and what you do it swtich it up!

©iStockphoto.com/ mediaphotos

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Sometimes I do.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Down time is good too.  How do they like that?

Quoting MichelleK41:

We change the routine and then I call some Saturdays as do nothing days so we get down time together. =)

sukainah
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM

That's a great idea!

Quoting dusky_rose:

We have changed some things up a bit. Our son is in kindergarten and we decided to meet up with other moms that we got to know when picking up our son and go to McDonald's or Burger King after so the kids could eat and play (once a week) and we could have some adult conversation at the same time. We also met up for rollerskating on a Saturday which was fun (even though I can't skate, nether can our son, so we are learning together).

sukainah
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM

This sounds a bit like me.  I have stresses in my life to and it effects the kids.

Quoting Wish2Be:

I have so many things I want to work on with DS and so many things that I wish I did better, but I dont seem to be making any progress...because I am lazy. :(

I am more so lazy due to other stresses we are dealing with here at home. Mostly financial.

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM

They enjoy it. Down time for us as a family is board games, move night, etc. Just staying home together and going no where. Kids are so very busy as well as the parents and sometimes get burned out too. So it helps to have down time and just hang out. =)

Quoting sukainah:

Quoting MichelleK41:

We change the routine and then I call some Saturdays as do nothing days so we get down time together. =)

sukainah
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds really fun and relaxing!

Quoting MichelleK41:

They enjoy it. Down time for us as a family is board games, move night, etc. Just staying home together and going no where. Kids are so very busy as well as the parents and sometimes get burned out too. So it helps to have down time and just hang out. =)

Quoting sukainah:

Quoting MichelleK41:

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Thanks! :-)

Quoting sukainah:

That's a great idea!

Quoting dusky_rose:

We have changed some things up a bit. Our son is in kindergarten and we decided to meet up with other moms that we got to know when picking up our son and go to McDonald's or Burger King after so the kids could eat and play (once a week) and we could have some adult conversation at the same time. We also met up for rollerskating on a Saturday which was fun (even though I can't skate, nether can our son, so we are learning together).

LOswald0314
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I do feel like that sometimes.  Changing up the routine does help now and then.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:05 AM

LOL

Quoting cara124:

have teenagers & a "special" needs child my parenting never seems to get in a rut because I never know what adventure one of them is going to get into on a daily basis LOL

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM

We are not in a rut. We toss things up and keep active.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)