Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Date Nights: Overrated or necessary?

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 130 Replies

It is Valentine's Day! So, who is going out to dinner with her spouse or significant other? Who has a date night planned? Speaking of date nights, how often do you have an evening alone, out together, doing something non-kid-related?

I know some friends who have two date nights every week, while others who maybe squeeze one in every month or two. And there are different definitions of date night - is it just you and your love, alone, out? Or does ordering in and having a movie night at home count? What about when you have dinner with friends and no kids?

For my husband and me, it goes in waves. Sometimes we can go a few months without a true alone date night, yet we will have gone to a party for friends here and there, while there may be a few weeks in a row where we manage a dinner and movie out and one snuggled on the couch.

A lot of things you read say it is essential to the health of your marriage to have those times just for you two, just to focus on you as a couple. That when you can't find time for that, to check in on each other and your relationship...hmmm...

What do you think? How often do you have date night? How do you define "date night"?

©iStockphoto.com/ GooDween123 

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
timon95
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

if you want to count dh and i watching tv together once or twice a week as a date night then we have date night once or twice a week.

nngmommy83
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:25 AM
3 moms liked this

I think neccessary. Doesn't have to be out anywhere though just carve out some alone time =)

nngmommy83
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:25 AM
3 moms liked this

Oh and we try for an actual date night at least once a month or so but have "date nights" once a week =)

Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I think they are both overated and necessary.

I havent been on a single date night since DS was born 3 years ago. I could use one, but I dont think we need to go on one every month or anything like that.

.Angelica.
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:22 AM

we don't do it often at all.

goddess99
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:47 AM

We don't have date night, to me they are for people having problems in their relationship. Those are the only people I've ever known to have date nights.

cara124
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:54 AM

being single "date night" is when I get to go out kid free for more than a run to the store.... but sometimes I have true "date nights" at home with a good movie I've wanted to watch, a bowl of popcorn & a glass of wine by myself after the kids have gone to bed.

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Dh & I try to have a date night once a week. It could be something as simple as getting in our jacuzzi without the kids, to watching a movie alone together, to going out for dinner, etc.

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I find them very neccessary. We like to go out once or twice a month. My son is older and my mom never has an issue having him stay over so hubby and I can go out.

CBMomma42
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

My fiance and I have a date night at least once a month. I think it is necessary because we have a 4 month old son together so getting a break from baby one night a month is something we both need. We are going out to dinner for Valentine's Day and we might catch a movie, no definate plans other than a dinner out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN