Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Date Nights: Overrated or necessary?

Posted by   + Show Post

It is Valentine's Day! So, who is going out to dinner with her spouse or significant other? Who has a date night planned? Speaking of date nights, how often do you have an evening alone, out together, doing something non-kid-related?

I know some friends who have two date nights every week, while others who maybe squeeze one in every month or two. And there are different definitions of date night - is it just you and your love, alone, out? Or does ordering in and having a movie night at home count? What about when you have dinner with friends and no kids?

For my husband and me, it goes in waves. Sometimes we can go a few months without a true alone date night, yet we will have gone to a party for friends here and there, while there may be a few weeks in a row where we manage a dinner and movie out and one snuggled on the couch.

A lot of things you read say it is essential to the health of your marriage to have those times just for you two, just to focus on you as a couple. That when you can't find time for that, to check in on each other and your relationship...hmmm...

What do you think? How often do you have date night? How do you define "date night"?

©iStockphoto.com/ GooDween123 

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (121-130):
TerriAnne2606
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Sometimes date night is actually an afteroon at the movies - just he and I and no kids.  LOL  But, usually we do date nights once a month or so.  

vsop690
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM

We do date night once a week, but all that means is spending alone time together doing something we BOTH enjoy doing. Whether its ordering in and watching a movie, or going out to dinner (even if its with the little one). We enjoy each others company daily, but on other nights of the week he watches HIS shows, or IM cooking, OR hes playing video games, OR Im sleepy so I go to bed. So 1 or 2 night a week, usually the weekend we "kick it" together.

ScrChk23
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Necessary.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Definitely a need in my relationship
FabulousMom28
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Necessary otherwise I feel that u draw apart. always need to keep it interesting.

MeggieK44
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM
We get one every couple months where we get to actually go out together alone. We're going out next Saturday for my bday. But haven't gone out in the last few months. Our work schedules are different tho so we're lucky if we get a "staying in" date night after DS goes to sleep every couple weeks.
bewitchedmama
by New Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:35 AM

We don't do date nights but I would love to. What other things can be done to have a healthy relationship?

mommaXjess
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Relationships don't have to be bad to go out and have a little fun.. its actually healthy to get out of the house...

Quoting goddess99:

We don't have date night, to me they are for people having problems in their relationship. Those are the only people I've ever known to have date nights.

exhaustedmother
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I think date nights are necessary in any relationship. Hubby and I try to have date night once or twice a week on my nights off. We even went out somewhere special for Valentines. It helps us stay close in our relationship. Of course it helps that we have an older teenage daughter to help watch the younger ones for us!

Angel9870
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I think that date nights are essential.  I speak from experience.  My husband and I have been married for 10 years and for the last 3 years we rarely have a date night.  Our marriage seems to revolve around the kids.  I feel like there is no spark  or passion anymore.  When we use to make time for date nights, we would flirt and laugh like we use to.  We would hold hands and just feel free to be like we use to be.   Now our marriage seems dull and monotonous.  We only talk about work or the kids.  And we don't see each other as sexual beings.  We rarely hold hands or kiss outside of he bedroom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)