Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Why is my "me time" is so short?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 49 Replies
2 moms liked this

When I'm feeling a tad stressed or overwhelmed, I know I haven't had enough Me Time. You know, those precious moments when you are just focused on you. It is rare, like a much-sought after gem within the week, right?

My problem is, if I do have that weeittybittylittlefew moments to myself to do anything I want to do, I find myself thinking about all of the things I should do. Like the laundry. Or going through my kid's closet, weeding out all of the stuff that doesn't fit her anymore. Or -- and this is a biggie -- returning emails.

The act of returning emails could take up an hour or two. Really. Because I fail at following thenumber one rule of email: if a response will take less than five minutes, then do that email right after you read it. It goes for work-related emails, personal emails, RSVPing to kiddo birthday parties via Evite or Paperless Post, all emails.

I read it and I don't. I think, "I'll do it later." And later always turns into "Doing It During Me Time."  Which really isn't how I want to spend Me Time. So, I'm really trying to respond to emails immediately...it is a start anyway, right?

Do you return emails right away? When you have "me time," does it turn into something else?

©iStockphoto.com/ Robas 

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymommy1105
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:28 AM
I never have me time. Seriously, I never have anything to myself...ever. I got candy for valentines, first thing my 7 year old does is ask to have some! When I said no, he cried.

I usually return emails with a phone call. I don't have time for email but I can talk and do other things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:50 AM

My me time is when I go workout at Curves. I try to stay 30 mins to an hour. :)

wandep
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Normally it doesn't take that long for me to return emails I don't get that many.

kmqw229
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I usually return emails right away. Most of the emails I recieve don't require a long answer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM
I don't have alot of me time. It is hard because my baby will not take a bottle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:12 AM
I dont get many emails that need response but i try to respond right away.

I do try to get an hour of me time a day, i know its not alot but its enough for me to get a decent workout and shower at least.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Some weeks I feel like I have plenty and then some weeks it feels like forever since I've had any.  I know how you feel. You just need to carve out the time and put other stuff on the back burner.  That's hard to do sometimes too!  lol   :)

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I return emails with in hours usually. I watch mine regularly since I receive email for a nonprofit support gtoup.

Me time usually turns into something else.

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Me ime happens urging naps, if I was lucky enough to clean while the kids were awake...lol

cara124
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I normal anwer quick emails ( such as evite ect. ) right away when I read them... if its something that is going to take a long response I put it in a folder that I come back to at the end of the day and anwser... me time happens around 9pm every night after the kids have went to their rooms and I snuggle down with a book in bed....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN