Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is my "me time" is so short?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 49 Replies
2 moms liked this

When I'm feeling a tad stressed or overwhelmed, I know I haven't had enough Me Time. You know, those precious moments when you are just focused on you. It is rare, like a much-sought after gem within the week, right?

My problem is, if I do have that weeittybittylittlefew moments to myself to do anything I want to do, I find myself thinking about all of the things I should do. Like the laundry. Or going through my kid's closet, weeding out all of the stuff that doesn't fit her anymore. Or -- and this is a biggie -- returning emails.

The act of returning emails could take up an hour or two. Really. Because I fail at following thenumber one rule of email: if a response will take less than five minutes, then do that email right after you read it. It goes for work-related emails, personal emails, RSVPing to kiddo birthday parties via Evite or Paperless Post, all emails.

I read it and I don't. I think, "I'll do it later." And later always turns into "Doing It During Me Time."  Which really isn't how I want to spend Me Time. So, I'm really trying to respond to emails immediately...it is a start anyway, right?

Do you return emails right away? When you have "me time," does it turn into something else?

©iStockphoto.com/ Robas 

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymommy1105
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:28 AM
I never have me time. Seriously, I never have anything to myself...ever. I got candy for valentines, first thing my 7 year old does is ask to have some! When I said no, he cried.

I usually return emails with a phone call. I don't have time for email but I can talk and do other things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:50 AM

My me time is when I go workout at Curves. I try to stay 30 mins to an hour. :)

wandep
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Normally it doesn't take that long for me to return emails I don't get that many.

kmqw229
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I usually return emails right away. Most of the emails I recieve don't require a long answer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM
I don't have alot of me time. It is hard because my baby will not take a bottle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:12 AM
I dont get many emails that need response but i try to respond right away.

I do try to get an hour of me time a day, i know its not alot but its enough for me to get a decent workout and shower at least.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Some weeks I feel like I have plenty and then some weeks it feels like forever since I've had any.  I know how you feel. You just need to carve out the time and put other stuff on the back burner.  That's hard to do sometimes too!  lol   :)

mrswillie
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I return emails with in hours usually. I watch mine regularly since I receive email for a nonprofit support gtoup.

Me time usually turns into something else.

kellynh
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Me ime happens urging naps, if I was lucky enough to clean while the kids were awake...lol

cara124
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I normal anwer quick emails ( such as evite ect. ) right away when I read them... if its something that is going to take a long response I put it in a folder that I come back to at the end of the day and anwser... me time happens around 9pm every night after the kids have went to their rooms and I snuggle down with a book in bed....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN