Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Why is my "me time" is so short?

Posted by   + Show Post

When I'm feeling a tad stressed or overwhelmed, I know I haven't had enough Me Time. You know, those precious moments when you are just focused on you. It is rare, like a much-sought after gem within the week, right?

My problem is, if I do have that weeittybittylittlefew moments to myself to do anything I want to do, I find myself thinking about all of the things I should do. Like the laundry. Or going through my kid's closet, weeding out all of the stuff that doesn't fit her anymore. Or -- and this is a biggie -- returning emails.

The act of returning emails could take up an hour or two. Really. Because I fail at following thenumber one rule of email: if a response will take less than five minutes, then do that email right after you read it. It goes for work-related emails, personal emails, RSVPing to kiddo birthday parties via Evite or Paperless Post, all emails.

I read it and I don't. I think, "I'll do it later." And later always turns into "Doing It During Me Time."  Which really isn't how I want to spend Me Time. So, I'm really trying to respond to emails immediately...it is a start anyway, right?

Do you return emails right away? When you have "me time," does it turn into something else?

©iStockphoto.com/ Robas 

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-49):
BabyTeki
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM
I always normally respond immediately because if I don't I forget to. Me time normally turns into me cleaning up. I hate doing it during me time, but its so much easier without 2 kids following behind messing it up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leelee1008
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I browse through and see what I have in there. I dont really have many people email me unless its a teacher. everyone else knows they can reach me by phone or facebook.

RobynS
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:43 PM

My workouts are probably my only true "me time." If I'm at home, I definitely get pulled in other directions all the time...

Bob192
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Yes, usually it does!  My brain is always thinking of something else I need to do!!

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:22 AM

This is me also.

Quoting .Angelica.:

i have some "Me time" most nights after the kids go to bed because DH works nights. I don't really have e-mails to respond to. LOL

aneela
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM

i just have down time at night...

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:28 PM
I try to return emails as I read them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I kinda get overwhelmed if I am cleaning/cooking and the kids  are wanting me too. I get most of my ME time when everyone is sleeping LOL

Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

the only me time I really get is in the shower....even now I have my little dude sitting on my lap pretending to type on this keyboard as I am typing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN