Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

homeschooling??

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 10 Replies
I am really considering this for my oldest.

There is a total lack of communication on the part of the school. plus the last 3 times I have entered the school building.....not a single employee has spoken to me nor have seen a single employee on 2 of those occasions.

I don't feel like he is safe.

Do you homeschool your kids? how did you make that decision?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Mine arent in school yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:11 PM

We do.  There were a lot of considerations that went into that family decision, but one near the top of the list was that we did not feel our children were safe in this school.  There is a huge bullying problem here, and instead of address it, parents cheer their children when they depants another kid on the playground, which happened repeatedly to one of our girls.  A boy in my then first grader's class exposed himself to her, in class, while they were sitting at their desks.  And NOTHING was ever done, no matter how many times we addressed it, no matter who we talked to...

I actually grew up with a pretty good bias against homeschooling, coming from a public school teacher family - both of my parents were teachers, and I was always an active NEA member when I was teaching in the public school system as well, but we have to do what is best for our children, and that is what is best for mine. 

It's pretty easy to get started if you're interested, but it is important to get the information specific for your state.  HSLDA is a great resource.

There are several Homeschooling groups here on CafeMom.  Feel free to PM me if you're interested in more information, or if you would like information about any of the groups that I know about. 

wandep
Hope everyone has a great week!!! It's almost Christmas time!!!
Today at 9:39 AM
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM

No but have friends that do.

kmqw229
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM
My kids are too young. My son goes to preschool two half days a week, and we do alot of learning activities during the week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:33 PM
I'm just really upset with the schools here.

There was a school shooting last week, less than 45 mins from our house. And I walked into my sons school within 2 days of the shooting and not a single adult spoke to me. I didn't even sign in at the front.....nobody said a word.

It worries me.

Quoting TigerofMu:

We do.  There were a lot of considerations that went into that family decision, but one near the top of the list was that we did not feel our children were safe in this school.  There is a huge bullying problem here, and instead of address it, parents cheer their children when they depants another kid on the playground, which happened repeatedly to one of our girls.  A boy in my then first grader's class exposed himself to her, in class, while they were sitting at their desks.  And NOTHING was ever done, no matter how many times we addressed it, no matter who we talked to...

I actually grew up with a pretty good bias against homeschooling, coming from a public school teacher family - both of my parents were teachers, and I was always an active NEA member when I was teaching in the public school system as well, but we have to do what is best for our children, and that is what is best for mine. 

It's pretty easy to get started if you're interested, but it is important to get the information specific for your state.  HSLDA is a great resource.

There are several Homeschooling groups here on CafeMom.  Feel free to PM me if you're interested in more information, or if you would like information about any of the groups that I know about. 

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I can absolutely understand!

Quoting happymommy1105:

I'm just really upset with the schools here.

There was a school shooting last week, less than 45 mins from our house. And I walked into my sons school within 2 days of the shooting and not a single adult spoke to me. I didn't even sign in at the front.....nobody said a word.

It worries me.

Quoting TigerofMu:

aneela
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM

i do....if it is a viable option for you..and it would give you peace of mind and your child is also on board...id say give it a go..but def sit down and write a list of pros and cons

happymommy1105
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM
How do you handle being frustrated or overwhelmed?

I'm worried about That.

Quoting aneela:

i do....if it is a viable option for you..and it would give you peace of mind and your child is also on board...id say give it a go..but def sit down and write a list of pros and cons

aneela
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:32 PM

i only have one child so it's not too bad....

once you have a curriculum and you can plan out what you need to get done...its not that bad at all

plus you can plan field trips and outings at anytime too :)

Quoting happymommy1105:

I'm worried about That.

Quoting aneela:

aneela
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:33 PM

homeschooling is not for everyone....i am not saying do it or dont...but if it is something you want to try...you do have the right and can try..but def do some research and ask more questions and find out what your state requires of you so you can make a decision

Quoting happymommy1105:

I'm worried about That.

Quoting aneela:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN