Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

detailed post from my post aboit complainer

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM
  • 11 Replies
This is going to be long so bear with me.

Last sunday (2/3/13), my 3 month old, nate, started acting out of sorts. he was fussy and such. monday (2/4), i called his old ped. she refused to see him and told me to deal with it at home.

Tuesday morning (2/5), he was still out of sorts. I called a new ped who saw him that same day. he was tested for rsv. it came back positive.

All week he has been out of sorts, he has been running a fever on and off but he was doing okay.

Until last night.

On 2/10, he was sorts still, he stopped nursing, he only had 3 wer diapers and his soft spot was sunken in. He screamed for 2 soild hours...nothing would comfort him.

My bf and i decided to take him to the er. i asked if we could take him to childrens healthcare of atlanta. So we got on the highway but because of the bad thunderstorms and bad road conditions.....bf convinced me that we should go to the closest hospital with a ped in the er.

So with a heavy heart, i agreed. i was upset but he was right.....the roads and weather were bad.

We got to the ER and they saw us rather quickly.

I explained to the nurse what was going on, and she put the pulse ox monitor on him. she took notes and such.

Almost immediately, the pulse ox says his levels are 78. She readjusts the thing and it goes up to 90. She leaves the room, he was laying in my arms sound asleep and the pulse ox is going between 80-90. a few times it hit a low of 78. I had to go get the nurse. she never came to check the beeping machine.

In the meantime, his heartrate is going between 100-178 with a high of 212 (when he was crying).

I asked he be put on oxygen. Both the doctor and nurse argued with me. Telling me that i dont know what a good pulse ox rythm is. (which i do, my mom has been a nicu nurse my entire life, i have spent alot of tIme around these monitors and know how to read it.)

The doctor then performs a basic physical exam, without washing his hands or putting on gloves. he then opens up nates diaper and touches all down there.....without washing his hands or putting on gloves.

He then tells me that nate is not that sick....but he will order a chest x ray, blood draws and a cleaning out of hIs nose.

The man comes in to clean his nose, actually puts on gloves but doesnt wash his hands.

The lady comes to get us for the x ray. she was veey nice and did her job well.

Then the doctor comes in refuses to even look at me, will only speak to bf. He says the x ray shows no signs of batercial pnemounia.

Then the nurses come in to draw nates blood. They dont wash their hands, nor do they put on gloves and they stick my child. (i was so ahocked and confused i couldnt believe my eyes) apparently the nurse did not get the vein on the first stick, because she dug around in his arm looking for it!!!

I fussed at her and she stopped. and tried his othwr arm, getting it the first time. She then filled the first dropper with blood and instead of cutting off the blood flow, when switching droppers, she let it flow. blood went all over the bed while she changed droppers.

She then left. without cleaning up the blood, without even covering it up or changing the sheets.

The doctor comes back, still acts like i am not in the room, tells us his blood work is fine.

Says nate has brocholitis. Says he should need breathing treatments, etc with this. but refuses to write a perscription for us. sends us home with no answers, a sick baby, and no medicine.

Oh and he never even addressed my concerns about dehydration. he said that nate was making tears, which was true but....he was showing other signs of dehydration. not making tears is like last on the list and you dont want it to get to that point.

This morning i called the patient advocate and the director of the ER for the hospital. i told them the whole story.

I quite honestly dont care if these people lose their jobs!

Who the hell doesnt wash their hands or put on gloves and then touches somebody elses penis or draws theie blood????
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aneela
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM

wow thats really crazy....you should have said that to them right then and there though in the room...and not let them treat your child in front of you without washing their hands etc....

and as for not giving any meds or rx...thats just NUTS...

i hope you get your son looked at again and get the meds he needs to get well

happymommy1105
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM
We went to the regular ped this am. And are going back tomorrow afternoon to re do chest x rays, and make sure the breathing treatments are working.

Quoting aneela:

wow thats really crazy....you should have said that to them right then and there though in the room...and not let them treat your child in front of you without washing their hands etc....

aneela
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM

good...that would have made me so upset to not get treatment for him like that....crazy!

Quoting happymommy1105:

We went to the regular ped this am. And are going back tomorrow afternoon to re do chest x rays, and make sure the breathing treatments are working.

Quoting aneela:

happymommy1105
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM
I cried in the middle of the ER that they were doing anything except helping my child.

Quoting aneela:

good...that would have made me so upset to not get treatment for him like that....crazy!

Quoting happymommy1105:

Quoting aneela:

aneela
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM

its truly unforgiveable when the system breaks down like that, ppl come there for HELP and CARE

Quoting happymommy1105:

I cried in the middle of the ER that they were doing anything except helping my child.

Quoting aneela:

Quoting happymommy1105:

Quoting aneela:

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I would be livid.  I can't even imagine the whole situation!  How is your son today?  Were you able to take him somewhere else and find some answers?

Amberleigh81
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Holycrap! I am on nursing school and I would be kicked out of my program for doing any ONE of those things!!! So sorry, mama! I hope your sweet baby gets better soon... good for you for reporting that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:58 AM
1 mom liked this
He is okay. still fussy.

I took him to the ped first thing in the am. plus he has another appt this afternoon to make sure the meds are working.

Mostly he is eating like crazy. he must be making up for not eating for 8 hours on Sunday!!

Quoting TigerofMu:

I would be livid.  I can't even imagine the whole situation!  How is your son today?  Were you able to take him somewhere else and find some answers?

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I agree with this and I feel you did the right thing talking to the hospitals resource dept.

Quoting aneela:

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Im sorry you had such an awful experience. I hope your lil one recovers quickly from being sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN