Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How do you feel about Special Education?

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM
  • 13 Replies

A good friend of mine called me a few nights ago, crying.  She is upset because her daughter's kindergarten teacher wants to her daughter on a modified behavior program that would require a SST (Student Support Team).  

My friend is scared that her daughter will forever be labeled as special education and she doesn't want that.  She asked me what I would do.  

I told her that if my child needed the help, I would want him to have it.  I would do whatever I needed to do for my child.  

I don't view needing special education services and receiving them as a negative thing!

Just wondering though, do you share my friend's view on special education? Would you be horrified and not allow your child to receive services they needed?  

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM

If I found my child needed help academically I would make sure she/he got it as well. Its not how the mom feels her child is labeled, its what is best for her child. Children have to learn sometimes in life society is not always sweet and its our duties as a parent to yes shield them from hate, but also our job to make sure they realize it is there, how to handle it and make sure educational needs are met. JMPO =)

wandep
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I think I would get a 2nd opinion.

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I do not see special education as a problem .. my DD has it for reading now starting to test out of class... I see it as she needed the extra help she deserved.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Agreed

Quoting wandep:

I think I would get a 2nd opinion.

ZsMommy
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM

OP-I agree with you-mainly because my daughter is in both an integrated classroom and a Special Needs classroom (support for reading and math)

SpecEd isn't as stigamatized as it's been in the past. And in my opinion-you do whatever needs to be done to insure the best educational enviroment possible for your child to  learn.

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM
If my child needed the extra help i would definately take it. They restest every year and can grow to not need the help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I know I would have similar scared feelings to be honest (probably just the shock factor), but looking back, I was one of those kids.  I had speech issues at a young age.  I had to travel to another school a few times a week to receive special training.  Also, I was taken out of my other classes through out the day at my school for more help.  It really did help my exceed with my classes at a young age.  I was out of the program by third grade.  No one would know unless I told them...my husband actually stuck his foot in his mouth when we were dating.  He asked if I road the short bus (just teasing like I was special needs), and I actually told him "yes."  He felt so bad..I think it taught him something too. 

There is nothing wrong with those programs, and she is still very young too.  They are meant to help students excel versus keep them behind.  Perhaps, over a little bit of time, your friend will feel better about it. 

She could also ask for another opinion too, and even look into the program for more information about it. 

AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I think I would do some research, maybe get a 2nd opinion, and find out what facts they have or what their reason was for thinking she would need one.

Once I gathered my facts I would do what I thought was the best interest for my child.  If that meant she has an IEP, or a SST.  In the end my child is at school to get an education and to become a productive member of this society.  So many children go undiagnosed which later down the line can cause major issues with their education.  Like not completing high school, failing classes, struggling understanding things, difficulty processing info.

If your friend is worried about her being labeled vs worried about her getting help she needs it seems like that's a bigger problem.

gmadiane
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I agree with you if a child needs help they should be able to get it

kmqw229
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:35 PM
I agree with you.

I want to help my kids succeed in life in every way that I can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)