Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are you jealous of the babysitter?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

We have, perhaps, the best babysitter ever...Sara. She's part of the family. Truly. She's been watching Kiddo for about three years now and has been there for us during some fantastic times -- and some really not-so-great times. When I was struggling at previous jobs and away for many more dinners and bedtimes than I would have liked, I knew that Sara was there for my kiddo, would do anything for her. It is a good feeling to know if I couldn't be there, my kiddo was with someone who loved her and who she loved right back.

Which is an amazing blessing, of course, but every once and a while, I have to say, I've been a weeittybittybit jealous of them. Now, I'm home much more, but there are still weeks when we have our sitter around more, when she does bedtime a few times in a row just because of the wonko schedule. And sometimes Kiddo calls me "Sar-Mama" by accident, just because she's used to calling for Sara and not me. When I see the fun playing time they have in her room as I have to do my work, at those times, well, I get that pang. The little nagging bit of jealousy.

I know, I know, I shouldn't, but I admit it, I do. It is not often, so it isn't a huge deal, but I've found it interesting to notice when it has happened. I have to say, this little every-once-in-a-blue-moon bit of jealous is good. It makes me stop and think about the quality time I spend with Kiddo, helps me remember to have more "fun" times if we haven't in a while, a mini mental check-in to cherish those times I have with my daughter...and, as we all know, a fantastic reminder like this is awesome.

Do you ever get jealous of the babysitter's or someone else's relationsihp with your kiddos? Even just a tiny bit?

©iStockphoto.com/hidesy 

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM

We only have a sitter a few times a year so this isn't really an issue for us.  I do try to cherish the time I have with them every day though. 

nngmommy83
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Nope
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:09 AM
I was a professional nanny for many years & I have seen this 1st hand. I think it is wonderful that you are awear of it & you use it as a reminder to spend quality time with your child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I never had a sitter other than my bff or grandparents.

wandep
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Not really. We don't have a babysitter. Usually if we go out my parents take the kids for the weekend or my mil comes to sit with them for the night. So it all works out for us. :)

kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Some times I am jealous of my inlaws when they have my kids. They are very wealthy & spoil my kids by taking them fun places and buying them way too much. At times I wish we could do that, but I also don't want my children to grow up with everything handed to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:14 AM
I agree! The family I was a nanny for had some problems because of this.

Quoting MamaMandee:

I was a professional nanny for many years & I have seen this 1st hand. I think it is wonderful that you are awear of it & you use it as a reminder to spend quality time with your child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Nope my kids don't go to a sitter. And on the rare occasion they are watched by my family I am not really thinking about jealousy lol.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:08 AM

My only babysitter and the only other person who spends any time with my dd is my mom. No jealously there at all. I'm the one who does all the fun stuff with my dd, I'm a sahm so I'm not missing out on anything.

natesmom1228
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:11 AM

My son never had a baby sitter and I loved his daycare providers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement