Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Saying Yes or No

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this

Yes, no, yes, no, no, no, no, yes. I made a challenge for myself: count how many times I say "No" and how many times I say "Yes" on any given day. Eh, it was tough to see that tally, truth be told. I say "No" a lot. Not only to kiddo, but to myself...those negative thoughts, those times I say no to myself on what I think is possible or okay. Yeah, I think I kind of go to "No" more easily than I go to "Yes."

Perhaps not something we are totally aware of and, of course, there are times when "No" is something we need to be saying ("No, you can't have 83 Oreos." or "No, you can't shave the cat."). But other times, maybe when we could say "Yes," we opt for "No," out of habit, because it is easier, because we are tired, because "Yes" would take a bit more effort or risk or get us outside of our comfort zone.

I'm really trying to be a little more Yes-y or at least a bit more purposeful with my answers -- to Kiddo, to myself, to everything -- to see what happens.  I'm not letting her or me go willy-nilly, but I'm trying.  

What about you? Do you veer toward the No Lane or the Yes Road?

©iStockphoto.com/ hiob         

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:28 AM

It just depends on the situation. Of course I can say no too. :)

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:43 AM
I have two small kiddos so no tends to be the growing answer, but i try to counter it with a positive, like no you cant have cookies for brkfast but you can have one with lunch kind of thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:52 AM

I have been trying to say yes more often since I've found myself saying no because I was tired or lazy.

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:11 AM
I have been trying to not say no to my kids, but ir is hard. Example, instead of telling my 14 month old, "no hitting" I try to say something along the lines of "be gentle." Of course her favorite Word is already no but Im trying!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cara124
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:25 AM

With 2 teenagers & 1 tween in the house I find that i'm saying NO a LOT .... "NO you can't take the car" , " NO  you can't have a new video game" , " NO you can't have your belly button pierce" & to myself its " NO you don't NEED that candy bar " or  " NO you don't NEED another Robyn Carr book " LOL.... so yeah NO gets said a lot in my house . But there are a lot of things I say yes to ! ....

BabyTeki
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM
I say no a lot. Sometimes multiple times over the same thing
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM

LOL  I don't really know.  Guess I'll have to pay more attention.  I do know that when my granddaughter Breana is here I find myself saying no a lot!!  LOL   :)

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Im going to have to keep an eye on how much I say no & yes. I know I say we will see pretty often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:04 AM

my kids are grown but I think I say yes a whole lot more to my grandchildren then their mother does, lol, I say no far too often to myself

sukainah
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I say no way to often so I'm on the No Lane. :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)