Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Yes, no, yes, no, no, no, no, yes. I made a challenge for myself: count how many times I say "No" and how many times I say "Yes" on any given day. Eh, it was tough to see that tally, truth be told. I say "No" a lot. Not only to kiddo, but to myself...those negative thoughts, those times I say no to myself on what I think is possible or okay. Yeah, I think I kind of go to "No" more easily than I go to "Yes."

Perhaps not something we are totally aware of and, of course, there are times when "No" is something we need to be saying ("No, you can't have 83 Oreos." or "No, you can't shave the cat."). But other times, maybe when we could say "Yes," we opt for "No," out of habit, because it is easier, because we are tired, because "Yes" would take a bit more effort or risk or get us outside of our comfort zone.

I'm really trying to be a little more Yes-y or at least a bit more purposeful with my answers -- to Kiddo, to myself, to everything -- to see what happens.  I'm not letting her or me go willy-nilly, but I'm trying.  

What about you? Do you veer toward the No Lane or the Yes Road?

©iStockphoto.com/ hiob         

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-58):
Charizma77
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Depends.. I feel like I say yes often and no when needed but if I'm in a bad mood there are more no's..working on that!

LOswald0314
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:40 PM

This is me too.  My toddlers are almost always happy with the alternative I offer them.

Quoting lillucky8:

I have two small kiddos so no tends to be the growing answer, but i try to counter it with a positive, like no you cant have cookies for brkfast but you can have one with lunch kind of thing.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM

It depends

ceciliam
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I feel like all I do is say, no. I'm trying to work on that.

MistressMinerva
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I say yes more now that I'm older and a grandma now.

Hottmomma607
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM
I say maybe a lot! I never promise my kids anything. So maybe we'll do blah, blah! No you can't go to school in flipflops! Yes you can have a snack after dinner!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fraujones
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Yes. I'm a bit of a pushover and I end up doing too much.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I found myself saying No a lot, and now try to let her know the rules, but put it in a more positive way and try not to use the word no. When she asks, "Can I go to the mall and hang out with my friends?" instead of just saying No, I try to say something like, "Maybe this weekend would be a better time to go, when I can take you and a friend to the mall, but you can invite your friends over here if you'd like".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)