Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

I love homemade soup.  Especially the ones that are easy but taste like they took forever.  lol  I make one with cannellini beans, veg broth, carrots and onion and garlic and chopped spinach at the end.  You can add ham too if you like.  This is so easy and never lasts long here.  You also add some thyme and a couple of shakes of Mortons natures seasoning. 

Does anyone have any good and easy soup recipes?  Thanks!   :)

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Replies (21-30):
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I'm back. 

That didn't take too long. Thankfully, my son loves school and helped me out a lot getting him ready. He was so excited to be going to school today. I'm so glad that they had make up days, otherwise he would have been home all week long.

Anyway... the soup

Potato, ham and bacon soup

heavy whipping cream

milk (I use whole milk) 

thyme

salt

pepper

oregano

rosemary

garlic powder

onion powder

potatoes (cut into bite size pieces)

ham (cut into the same size pieces as the potatoes or vice versa)

Then I crisp some bacon and add that when I'm about to serve the soup for the first time. 

This soup doesn't last long here in this house. I make about a 5 qt saucepan full of it. It lasts about 2 days here. That's with just two people eating it.

Course it takes me about a day to cook it, but that's because I only turn up the heat long enough to cook the potatoes. Then I let it simmer for a long time. 

Beef veggie soup

Beef stock

beef

oregano

thyme

salt

pepper

garlic powder 

onion powder

veggies (whatever you want)

cabbage

potatoes

1. Mix all together and simmer until cooked.

2. enjoy.

I think there are more...but I can't think of them right now.

there are variations to the potato, ham, and bacon soup.

replace the ham with cooked shrimp and any other seafood you like, and change the seasoning up a bit and you would have a seafood soup. Add some potato flakes to thicken up the soup with the seafood and you would have a seafood chowder

wedding countdown

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

We've enjoyed them! :)

Quoting louannwilkins:

Thanks!!  These sound yummy!!!  :)

Quoting TigerofMu:

That sounds like a yummy soup!  A lot of times I just throw some things together, but some actual recipes that I like I got from the Pioneer Woman.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/?s=soup&submit=

These are a few that I have made and love:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/01/perfect-potato-soup/

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/11/broccoli-cheese-soup/

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/chicken-tortilla-soup/

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Oh my word!  They sound awesome!!  The first one especially!!  lol  Thanks for taking the time to post these.  I will definitely be using them!!   :)

Quoting Basherte:

I'm back. 

That didn't take too long. Thankfully, my son loves school and helped me out a lot getting him ready. He was so excited to be going to school today. I'm so glad that they had make up days, otherwise he would have been home all week long.

Anyway... the soup

heavy whipping cream

milk (I use whole milk) 

thyme

salt

pepper

oregano

rosemary

garlic powder

onion powder

Then I crisp some bacon and add that when I'm about to serve the soup for the first time. 

This soup doesn't last long here in this house. I make about a 5 qt saucepan full of it. It lasts about 2 days here. That's with just two people eating it.

Course it takes me about a day to cook it, but that's because I only turn up the heat long enough to cook the potatoes. Then I let it simmer for a long time. 

Beef veggie soup

Beef stock

beef

oregano

thyme

salt

pepper

garlic powder 

onion powder

cabbage

potatoes

2. enjoy.

replace the ham with cooked shrimp and any other seafood you like, and change the seasoning up a bit and you would have a seafood soup. Add some potato flakes to thicken up the soup with the seafood and you would have a seafood chowder

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM

You're more than welcome. 

I had all those ingredients around the house and decided to experiment one night for dinner. That's how the potato, ham, and bacon soup came about.

Cook/ steam the cabbage first then put in the soup.

You could also substitute clams for the ham and bacon... then you would have a creamy clam chowder.

This isn't a soup, but it is quick and easy.

I took chicken breast halves... (I didn't cut them up last night but will from now on) slice them in thin strips then cut those thin strips so that they are short. Place in a hot skillet with water, a splash or three of malt vinegar. I added about 2 tablespoons of white wine. Then added my spices. Oregano, thyme, salt, pepper. 

Cook until done. While that is cooking, take a sauce pan and boil some water. Then use some bow tie noodles and cook until done. Drain the noodles. Take some spinach dip (room temp) and place about 4 tablespoons (you'll know when you see it) into the noodles. Then add the chicken pieces to the noodles.  Mix well. Serve.

It is delicious.

Quoting louannwilkins:

Oh my word!  They sound awesome!!  The first one especially!!  lol  Thanks for taking the time to post these.  I will definitely be using them!!   :)

Quoting Basherte:

I'm back. 

Anyway... the soup

heavy whipping cream

milk (I use whole milk) 

thyme

salt

pepper

oregano

rosemary

garlic powder

onion powder

Beef veggie soup

Beef stock

beef

oregano

thyme

salt

pepper

garlic powder 

onion powder

cabbage

potatoes

2. enjoy.

wedding countdown

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I only use canned soup sorry

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

That sounds good too with the chicken!!  lol  Thanks!!  :)

Quoting Basherte:

I had all those ingredients around the house and decided to experiment one night for dinner. That's how the potato, ham, and bacon soup came about.

You could also substitute clams for the ham and bacon... then you would have a creamy clam chowder.

I took chicken breast halves... (I didn't cut them up last night but will from now on) slice them in thin strips then cut those thin strips so that they are short. Place in a hot skillet with water, a splash or three of malt vinegar. I added about 2 tablespoons of white wine. Then added my spices. Oregano, thyme, salt, pepper. 

Cook until done. While that is cooking, take a sauce pan and boil some water. Then use some bow tie noodles and cook until done. Drain the noodles. Take some spinach dip (room temp) and place about 4 tablespoons (you'll know when you see it) into the noodles. Then add the chicken pieces to the noodles.  Mix well. Serve.

It is delicious.

Quoting louannwilkins:

Quoting Basherte:

I'm back. 

Anyway... the soup

heavy whipping cream

milk (I use whole milk) 

thyme

salt

pepper

oregano

rosemary

garlic powder

onion powder

Beef veggie soup

Beef stock

beef

oregano

thyme

salt

pepper

garlic powder 

onion powder

cabbage

potatoes

2. enjoy.

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

it's ok.   :)

Quoting momofsixangels:

I only use canned soup sorry

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

You're welcome.

Let me know if you ever want any more recipes. I have three books full of them, plus a bunch of magazines that I use. Plus my memory of a few more.

I have a recipe for a cold soup, but it isn't all that quick to make. It is kinda easy to do, it just takes a lot of time. The cold soup when done, tastes a lot like a frozen mixed drink. Has the option of leaving the alcohol out of it. (There isn't that much alcohol to begin with.) It's a summer soup.

Quoting louannwilkins:

That sounds good too with the chicken!!  lol  Thanks!!  :)

Quoting Basherte:

It is delicious.

Quoting louannwilkins:

Quoting Basherte:

I'm back. 

Anyway... the soup

heavy whipping cream

milk (I use whole milk) 

thyme

salt

pepper

oregano

rosemary

garlic powder

onion powder

Beef veggie soup

Beef stock

beef

oregano

thyme

salt

pepper

garlic powder 

onion powder

cabbage

potatoes

2. enjoy.

wedding countdown

deadlights86
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Good old chicken and dumplings from a left over chicken is the best. Add some frozen mixed vegies and dh makes dumplings in the soup from canned biscuits I like the bisquick fluffy dumplings that sit on top.

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I love chicken and dumplings.  I've never had ones that sit on top though.  I usually dig through and get as many dumplings as I can.  lol   :)

Quoting deadlights86:

Good old chicken and dumplings from a left over chicken is the best. Add some frozen mixed vegies and dh makes dumplings in the soup from canned biscuits I like the bisquick fluffy dumplings that sit on top.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN