Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Volunteering at schools: Is it too much?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

Whipping up cupcakes for the bake sale. Chaperoning field trips. Classroom decorating for every holiday from Halloween to St. Patrick's Day. I talk to loads of parents who feel they are asked by teachers and the PTA to pitch in on something every other week.

Is it too much? Do you feel like you are juggling work, the kids and a whole other part-time job there at the school? At my kiddo's school, there isn't that much volunteering per se, and I'm kinda of wonko in that I like doing stuff like that. They do have lots that we are invited to attend: presentations of weeks-long curriculum chunks, all-school festivals with singing, you get the idea.

I'm that lucky I have a flexible schedule to be able to be there to most things, but it is still tough to switch around workloads and deadlines. But I know moms with other kids that have double or triple the events, moms with new babies, moms with more traditional jobs, all of whom find being there for volunteering or other events exceedingly difficult. You're rescheduling shifts, missing another kid's ball game, or wrecking naptime...or missing it all together...which is loaded onto the Mommy Guilt Pile over there in the corner.

How is it at your school? Are there a lot of events and pleas for volunteering? How do you handle it?

©iStockphoto.com/ Antoniooo

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:22 AM

With the kids school i volunteered the last two years and took this year off because of health reasons and taking new meds I wasn't sure how I would feel. Anyway, they have plenty of volunteers it seems at our school. 

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:11 AM
My kids arent in school yet so im not sure how it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I have.Last Christmas I helped sell candy cane grams.I helped with the 5th grade dance party.I also helped one weekend raking and putting down new mulch on the school grounds

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Not to much but our schools are on lockdown .. you have to be in the system to volunteer

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Not to much but our schools are on lockdown .. you have to be in the system to volunteer

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:58 AM

No kids at school just yet

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:01 AM
No kids in school yet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:04 AM
We have a ton of parents who volunter so there is not a great need of begging parents to come help. But help is always welcomed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I was the PTO President at my dd's school so...

Charizma77
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

It's actually organized very well and gives all parents the opportunity to volunteer. Sometimes I volunteer sometimes my husband does. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement