Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Volunteering at schools: Is it too much?

Posted by   + Show Post

Whipping up cupcakes for the bake sale. Chaperoning field trips. Classroom decorating for every holiday from Halloween to St. Patrick's Day. I talk to loads of parents who feel they are asked by teachers and the PTA to pitch in on something every other week.

Is it too much? Do you feel like you are juggling work, the kids and a whole other part-time job there at the school? At my kiddo's school, there isn't that much volunteering per se, and I'm kinda of wonko in that I like doing stuff like that. They do have lots that we are invited to attend: presentations of weeks-long curriculum chunks, all-school festivals with singing, you get the idea.

I'm that lucky I have a flexible schedule to be able to be there to most things, but it is still tough to switch around workloads and deadlines. But I know moms with other kids that have double or triple the events, moms with new babies, moms with more traditional jobs, all of whom find being there for volunteering or other events exceedingly difficult. You're rescheduling shifts, missing another kid's ball game, or wrecking naptime...or missing it all together...which is loaded onto the Mommy Guilt Pile over there in the corner.

How is it at your school? Are there a lot of events and pleas for volunteering? How do you handle it?

©iStockphoto.com/ Antoniooo

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-53):
RobynS
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I like to volunteer when I can, but that usually means dragging DD along with me. That makes me a less-efficient volunteer sometimes, but at least I'm there and trying! ;)

aneela
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM

we homeschool

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I never volunteered at this school.. Did with my o,destroy dd's school... Youngest dd starts K in Sept

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN