Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Corpse found in L.A. hotel's water tank

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • 28 Replies

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Tourists staying at a Los Angeles hotel bathed, brushed teeth and drank water from a tank in which a young woman's body was likely decomposing for more than two weeks, police said.

Elisa Lam's corpse was found in the Cecil Hotel's rooftop water tank by a maintenance worker who was trying to figure out why the water pressure was low Tuesday.

Lam's parents reported her missing in early February. The last sighting of her was in the hotel on January 31, Los Angeles Police said.

Detectives are now investigating the 21-year-old Canadian's suspicious death, police Sgt. Rudy Lopez said.

Results on tests on the water done Wednesday by the Los Angeles Public Health Department were expected later in the day.

The hotel management has not responded to CNN requests for comment.

Video appears to show four cisterns on the hotel roof.

People who stayed at the Cecil since Lam's disappearance expressed shock about developments.

"The water did have a funny taste," Sabrina Baugh told CNN on Wednesday. She and her husband used the water for eight days.

"We never thought anything of it," the British woman said. "We thought it was just the way it was here."

What she described was not normal.

"The shower was awful," she said. "When you turned the tap on, the water was coming black first for two seconds and then it was going back to normal."

The hotel remained open after the discovery, but guests checking in Tuesday were told not to drink it, according to Qui Nguyen, who decided to find a new hotel Wednesday.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gmadiane
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM

this makes me want to throw up and I was not even there to drink the water

TigerofMu
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Oh yikes!

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Oh my....that makes me sick to my stomach for so many reasons!

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Ew
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AzariahsMother
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Wow....

arpazia
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:51 AM
:( omg that poor girl rip
Poor guy that found her... Poor hotel guest! Ew ew ew
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM

OMGosh, that is so sad and so disgusting!

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Sooo gross!  I looked up the hotel after I read on cnn about this, and it seems like a half way decent looking place.   Now, I know why I don't drink the water in hotel. 

And, I feel for her family.  I hope they are given some answers.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Oh gag!

slw123
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

How horrible!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)