Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Do you stress over finding a babysitter?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM
  • 25 Replies

I hate calling to find a babysitter.  Hate it.  Sometimes it just seems easier to stay home than to pick up the phone. lol

We have a dinner next Tuesday.  I asked one of my regular sitters on Sunday if she could babysit, but she was busy (she coaches & judges middle school speech).  I knew I needed to call one of my other sitters, but I just kept putting it off.  Thankfully, today her mom called & asked if I'd gotten a sitter yet because the girl's plans got changed so she can babysit now.

Doesn't help that two of my main ones are a junior & senior in high school so I need to be cultivating younger sitters.  As much as its a pain to call the ones we've used, its worse calling a new potential sitter.  Last time I tried calling a new sitter, she called me back & said I had the wrong # because she didn't get my voicemail so wanted to know who I was (and I didn't think fast enough to say why I'd called) & then declared I had the wrong #.  A little phone etiquette would help her. 

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I'm sorry! I'm sure it is hard to deal with if you have to try to find someone to watch your kids.    I was lucky and never had a problem.  My parents always were the babysitters. lol  I never went outside of family. 

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting louannwilkins:

I'm sorry! I'm sure it is hard to deal with if you have to try to find someone to watch your kids.    I was lucky and never had a problem.  My parents always were the babysitters. lol  I never went outside of family. 

THis would be very different if we lived near family!  I have had my siblings babysit on occasion, but they all live at least 3 hours away so it doesn't work for in town things.  My parents are alive & healthy but have never babysat for me - which is really fine with me.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Hugs!! Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wandep
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I'm sorry you have a hard time. We are very thankful that we live near my mil and my parents. So the kids can go visit for the weekend if we have something big planned or my mil can just come over and keep them for a few hours.

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:12 AM

No we never go out and if we have to go anywhere we have  a 14 and 15 year old that can watch them.Sorry you are having such a hard time

lillucky8
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:16 AM
I dont really have a sitter. My mom watches them if i need to do something for work bc she doesnt work. And we have one friend that can sit if we need. But otherwise we dont have a sitter, i dont really know anyone that would want to, my kids are small and im a bit nervous with someone i dont know bc the kids cant really advocate for themselves, nor do i know any teens in this area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:04 AM
I've only had someone else watch my kids a few times and it has always been family or my friends. The grandparents love watching them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:10 AM
We dont have a need for one to often but when we do, we call DH's 18 yr old niece. Our oldest is 14 so if we are not going to be gone for to long she can watch the other two (5 & 9).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Quoting momofsixangels:

No we never go out and if we have to go anywhere we have  a 14 and 15 year old that can watch them.Sorry you are having such a hard time

Having older kids to watch the younger ones would be ideal!

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Quoting lillucky8:

I dont really have a sitter. My mom watches them if i need to do something for work bc she doesnt work. And we have one friend that can sit if we need. But otherwise we dont have a sitter, i dont really know anyone that would want to, my kids are small and im a bit nervous with someone i dont know bc the kids cant really advocate for themselves, nor do i know any teens in this area.

It can be stressful to trust your kids to someone else, esp a teen.  Luckily, I have been able to find my sitters either through church or a referral from someone I trust.

But I still just dislike having to actually call them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN