Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

My kids hover too much!

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM
  • 20 Replies

I swear, some days I just need a break.  If I sit down for 5 minutes to catch up here or nurse the baby, my toddler and preschooler are all over me like white on rice.  They have an abundance of toys, craft supplies, etc. at their disposal and they are not lacking in attention so I just don't get it. 

I remember playing alone a lot as a young kid with dolls and Barbies and using my imagination - is this not something that comes innately?  I play with them and their toys, but I can't play all day.  I do have housework and other responsibilities and I can't just plop them in front of a TV screen all day to get stuff done.  Just frustrated today, I guess.  Uff.

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Aww that is too bad,
Mine did play well by themselves or with each other.
Can't yours play together?
Hope your Sunday is better for you :)

Hottmomma607
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Awwww it'll happen soon! One day they won't bother with you!! Ok I lied my kids still hover and they are big kids!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Juniper53098
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:48 PM

In our society, kids want to be entertained.  They aren't challenged to find things to do.  I'd make some suggestions to them and tell them to go do it.

Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:31 AM

They play together at times, but not for very long.  I think we're all getting stir crazy and need Spring to get here already!  Thanks, though!  =)

Quoting hugss:

Aww that is too bad,

Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:32 AM

LOL, well, thanks for the glimmer of hope, anyway!

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Awwww it'll happen soon! One day they won't bother with you!! Ok I lied my kids still hover and they are big kids!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Glad they do play together though,
Yes we all need spring & soon :)

Quoting Heather2001:

They play together at times, but not for very long.  I think we're all getting stir crazy and need Spring to get here already!  Thanks, though!  =)

Quoting hugss:

Aww that is too bad,

Join us at
Time Out for You
Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Yes, THIS!  This is what I told my husband.  I'm tired of the constant flow if information instead of letting THEM determine their entertainment.  I shouldn't have to give them explicit storylines on how to play house or dolls or whatever, you know?  But that's what they want!  It's crazy!

Quoting Juniper53098:

In our society, kids want to be entertained.  They aren't challenged to find things to do.  I'd make some suggestions to them and tell them to go do it.

abra
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:59 AM

My kids do that sometimes, too. I only take me time when the younger ones are napping, so then I can explain to my older ones (ages 4 and 7) that they need not to hover because it is rude and suggest an activity I think they'd enjoy. 

Hottmomma607
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this
LOL YW!
They have their moments but even my 14yo DD wants to sit on mama's lap!

Quoting Heather2001:

LOL, well, thanks for the glimmer of hope, anyway!

Quoting Hottmomma607:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I wait until the baby is napping, but my 2.5-year-old stopped napping a few months ago and it's definitely gotten worse since then.  Though, he plays better by himself than my 4-year-old.  Glad my kids aren't the only hoverers, lol.

Quoting abra:

My kids do that sometimes, too. I only take me time when the younger ones are napping, so then I can explain to my older ones (ages 4 and 7) that they need not to hover because it is rude and suggest an activity I think they'd enjoy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)