Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Midlife crisis? What age is the hardest?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am 40...I'll be 41 in 37 days (but who's counting?). When I turned 40, everyone asked me how I was feeling about it, how entering "mid-life" was, and all that. The actual event was fun, the weeks around it I got a lot of attention and well wishes...who doesn't like that, eh? But, now that I'm onto 41 soon -- it isn't a big milestone birthday, and well, midlife isn't feeling so great.

Some studies say 44 is the worst age -- it is right when you aren't young anymore, you are on the track you've set for your life, "new" events are no longer happening (you're beyond births and weddings), it is when you realize you are, possibly, half way through this life. Which is weird to think about. Studies show that 44 is the age when you have the "midlife slump" and are more apt to become depressed.

Hmm...it's interesting to think about, that this is when we contemplate all of those things we haven't done yet, what isn't quite like we'd like it to be. Yet, what if we turn it around? Toss into the mix all of the things we have accomplished, every memory we have created...could that help? Possibly, but not so sure.

I can tell these next few years for me will be tough ones -- not horrible, not void of fantastic moments either, but tough in terms of big life questions and setting the path for the next half of life...which is daunting...and daunting things can be a tad depressing.

How old are you? Have any years been harder than others? Do you know anyone that went through a midlife crisis? What would your ideal midlife crisis be?

©iStockphoto.com/ ScrappinStacy    

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Seriously I have an issue with this mid-life crisis in your 40s idea !

Who is going to live to be 80? I mean seriously. I know it my family most people die in their late sixties to early seventies. Midlife Crisis should happen in your 30s. Lets be realistic.

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM
2 moms liked this
Im 37 & if I have a mid-life crisis I hope it involves a sports car. I had a great one in my 20's lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I am 25 and really the last 7 years have been pretty much the same. I had two kids in that time but not much going on besides that.

shamroc374
by New Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:55 AM
I just turned 39 on Sunday. I have really started to think about my big adventure into my 40's. I have now realized that I don't want to leave my 30's and begin my 40's living the same boring life I do now. I love my kids and I love being with them but they are getting bigger and need me less and less. I hope to make my 40's fun and do exciting things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
arpazia
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:31 AM
I'm 26, I think it's all been pretty easy, maybe I just block out any bad and only can recall the good... Not a bad thing to do if I do say so my self:)

Nobody I can think of. Um, sports car? Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm 41 and I think life is what you make it.  I don't see myself going through a midlife crisis because I've accepted the fact that this is my life and I'm making the best of it and enjoying my children.

4kidz916
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I will say that I know a few people my age that are going through what seems to be a mid life crisis.  They are leaving their marriages and trying to start new lives.  I see posts on FB where they are always looking for something exciting to do (like they are trying to re-live their teens or twenties).  I'm different I guess, because I'm just content with my plain little life.  lol

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Oh, hmmmm... maybe that is what my DH is going through right now. He will be be 43 this year and he has been really depressed lately.

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I'll be 41 in May. I have no such issues with turning 41, or anytime in my 40's. I am pg now... I have no time to reflect on a midlife crisis.

Juniper53098
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I am 44.  My hardest years were definitely my teens and 20's.  I was trying to get out of an abusive household in my teens.  (Dad sued for custody.  The battle lasted 3 years and I moved my Senior year of highschool.)  In my 20's, I married an abusive cop and then went through a horrible divorce.

My 40's, so far, are a breeze.  But, I still have young children and care for even younger children, which keeps me feeling young.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)