Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Midlife crisis? What age is the hardest?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am 40...I'll be 41 in 37 days (but who's counting?). When I turned 40, everyone asked me how I was feeling about it, how entering "mid-life" was, and all that. The actual event was fun, the weeks around it I got a lot of attention and well wishes...who doesn't like that, eh? But, now that I'm onto 41 soon -- it isn't a big milestone birthday, and well, midlife isn't feeling so great.

Some studies say 44 is the worst age -- it is right when you aren't young anymore, you are on the track you've set for your life, "new" events are no longer happening (you're beyond births and weddings), it is when you realize you are, possibly, half way through this life. Which is weird to think about. Studies show that 44 is the age when you have the "midlife slump" and are more apt to become depressed.

Hmm...it's interesting to think about, that this is when we contemplate all of those things we haven't done yet, what isn't quite like we'd like it to be. Yet, what if we turn it around? Toss into the mix all of the things we have accomplished, every memory we have created...could that help? Possibly, but not so sure.

I can tell these next few years for me will be tough ones -- not horrible, not void of fantastic moments either, but tough in terms of big life questions and setting the path for the next half of life...which is daunting...and daunting things can be a tad depressing.

How old are you? Have any years been harder than others? Do you know anyone that went through a midlife crisis? What would your ideal midlife crisis be?

©iStockphoto.com/ ScrappinStacy    

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-45):
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:57 AM

I'm 42 and I'm loving life!

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:30 AM

My mom is 59 and just diagnosed with brain cancer. I'm 31. I fear I'm already middle-aged.

slightlyperfect

sukainah
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Good for you!  I was 42 when I had my youngest and I'd say this is the hardest time in my life, with younger kids. I wish I would have had them younger, but like you said, there is no time for a mid life crisis.

Quoting kellynh:

I'll be 41 in May. I have no such issues with turning 41, or anytime in my 40's. I am pg now... I have no time to reflect on a midlife crisis.

stayathome510
by New Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I am in similar circumstance and have three young children...I am 47.  I felt wonderful, you know, youthful enough when they were first born, but these past 2 yrs especially have been difficult with the onset of menopause and all the changes I am going through, just tough.  I am so overjoyed, and my husband, too, that we have these little children, they just make our lives sooooo very special, but I can relate to what you are saying, hang in there!

Quoting sukainah:

I'm 46 and I think my 40's have been the hardest.  I had my kids late and they are still young and sometimes I feel I won't be able to keep up with them and keep them having fun when I'm feeling kind of low

sukainah
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

We are overjoyed also to have such two special blessings.  You hang in there too! :-)

Quoting stayathome510:

I am in similar circumstance and have three young children...I am 47.  I felt wonderful, you know, youthful enough when they were first born, but these past 2 yrs especially have been difficult with the onset of menopause and all the changes I am going through, just tough.  I am so overjoyed, and my husband, too, that we have these little children, they just make our lives sooooo very special, but I can relate to what you are saying, hang in there!

Quoting sukainah:

I'm 46 and I think my 40's have been the hardest.  I had my kids late and they are still young and sometimes I feel I won't be able to keep up with them and keep them having fun when I'm feeling kind of low

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)