Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How to Have Happier Mornings

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM
  • 10 Replies

By Britt Reints, TLC

Photo: Steve Lambert/Creative Commons

My husband and my daughter hate mornings, my son is a naturally early riser, and I just want everyone to leave the house without too much bickering. Not every day in our house starts with sunshine and rainbows, but I do have a few tricks for coaxing my family into a good mood in the morning.

Start the night before. I find that my mornings are often a reflection of the night before: Did everyone get enough sleep? Well-rested kids are less likely to wake up crying, while an over-tired parent is more likely to hit snooze and start a domino effect of rush, rush, rush. Another nighttime ritual that can ease the morning panic is picking out clothes, packing bags, and making sure everything that needs to be is signed.

Allow time for slow wake ups. You may be tempted to let everyone sleep as late as possible, but kids who struggle with early mornings may actually do better with an earlier bedtime and waking time. My daughter is a notoriously grumpy riser, but waking her up slowly with hugs and kisses allows her to ease into the day and usually puts her in a good mood.

Keep calm. My mood is often a barometer for my household. If I make an effort to pour myself a cup of coffee, stretch, and put a smile on my face before ringing the morning bell, everyone else seems to follow suit. Unfortunately, they are just as inclined to mirror me if I’m frantically rushing around hollering, “hurry up!” I try to keep morning activities to a minimum and allow ample time to get everything done so that I have a better chance of setting a happy example.

Take a moment to connect. While I keep the AM to-do list short, I do think it’s important to make intimacy a priority. That means everyone gets a hug, a kiss, an “I love you,” or some kind of, “hey, remember you matter to me” moment before they leave the house. I do this because I want my husband and kids to know how I feel about them, but also because it makes them nicer – which makes my day a whole lot better.

What are your tried and true tricks for happy mornings?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM

We prepare the night before and then wake up early so there's no rush. Morning are good here.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I think having a positive start to the day makes the rest of the day go easier.

4kidz916
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I need this post...I hate mornings. 

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I get as much done the night before as I can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

The kids have everything ready the night before

ceciliam
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I prepare as much as I can the night before and luckily my son wakes up easily in the mornings. We also have a morning routine so everything (most days) just flows.

Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Me and mornings are not friends.

fraujones
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I do most of these. It helps! Things get hectic, but not as much. 

Juniper53098
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM

My son often struggles with the morning routines, but he does better with a timer.

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Yeah mornings and I are not either! 

Quoting Heather2001:

Me and mornings are not friends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)