Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How to Create a Cleaning Schedule

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM
  • 10 Replies

By Charlene Prince Birkeland, TLC

Photo: wayne's eye view/Creative Commons

From top to bottom, inside and out, cleaning your living space can seem like such a mammothundertaking because you don't even know where to begin. The laundry? The kid' rooms? The kitchen? Don't forget washing linens, windows and floors! If you're totally overwhelmed with cleaning, it's time to reign it in. What can help? A simple cleaning schedule.

While various online resources can help you pull together a very organized cleaning schedule, you can handle it on your own in three simple steps.

Identify your goals. I mean, besides a clean house. Is your goal to better delegate cleaning jobs across your family? Perhaps you want to get your cleaning done during the week so you don't have to worry about it on the weekend. Determine your biggest pain points and what would make them better.

Look over your weekly cleaning routine Chances are high that you already have cleaning routines built into your days and weeks. Whether it's washing a load of laundry a day, changing the sheets every Sunday or wiping down the bathroom sink every single day, you're doing something.Make a list of all of the cleaning activities you do and the days you seem to do them. Take note of the patterns. What can you do once or twice a week? What needs to be done once a month? Are you ding something too often? Too little?

Create your schedule! Grab a weekly and monthly calendar and based on the list you've created, plot out your cleaning schedule. We're not talking time slots (unless you want to!), but rather identifying the days when you will complete an activity. Batch activities together.

It'll take a little bit of time to get into a cleaning groove with your new schedule, but if you try to stick to the routine, it'll feel like you're just tidying up instead of underatking a huge housecleaning effort.

Do you use a cleaning schedule?

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I do, but it's not precise. It has a lot of leeway in it, depending on what needs to be done. When the boys were small, I depended on it more to make sure everything got done. 

anotherandree
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I did this and really stuck to it for about 2 weeks.  I got sick and the whole thing went right out the window.  I completely lost motivation.  How do you STAY motivated?  I mean my house isn't trashed or anything, but it's not Martha Stewart clean.  

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:10 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Great ideas!
I should do something like this :)

sukainah
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I know a mom who cleans a room each day.  It seems to work for her.  I'd want to do that too.

ceciliam
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I use to follow one but got away from it. I recently realized I need to go back to using one.

Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I don't right now because my kids are really too young to contribute anything substantial and hubby is hit and miss with cleaning.  I will when they get older, though!

Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM

To elaborate further, I guess I have my own schedule of sorts, but it's not written or set in stone.  I just do things as I see them.  Winter weather tends to sap my motivation to do much of anything so a lot of my schedule depends on my mood that day.  I got a TON done yesterday, for example.

Juniper53098
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I do some things routinely, but others are left at the wayside.

MistressMinerva
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Thanks for sharing.

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:39 AM
I use to and hope to get back on it once my back heals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement