Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are you tied to your phone?

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 45 Replies

A friend of mine recently dropped her phone in the toilet. As her whole family was dealing with the flu, she had a mound of used tissues in one hand and her phone in the other. She meant to drop the tissues in the toilet (as the trash can was overflowing) but, in her sleep-deprived and flu-ish state, she dropped her phone in the toilet instead.

Of course, she was not too happy about doing that. So, she ordered a new phone -- but it wasn't going to arrive for a few days...and she admitted that, during those days sans her phone, she felt a little lost without it. She was shocked to realize how addicted she was to having a phone, having it there to check emails, touch base, text buds (including moi).

I'm sure I would have been the same way. It's hard to remember a day we haven't had cell phones, let alone smart phones. I know not everyone has them, but so many do and so many moms I know are rather tied to them. My husband definitely is, and yeah, I think I check it more often than I have to, more often than is necessary.

I find the info that Dr. Ian talk about, how our minds are getting re-wired, how we depend on them to quell anxious feelings or bordeom soooooo spot-on. The ritual of checking your emails or texts while you wait around. You see the folks walking down the street texting, you see people out to dinner who are all constantly texting others not engaging with the people sitting right there...totally not a good thing. I admit it...and confess I probably need some sort of intervention.

Are you tied to your iPhone? Do you know people who are?

©iStockphoto.com/ MorePixels

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Platinum Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I'm not but I am, LOL
Yes probably my sons are :)

chrissydan
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:46 AM
I havent been as bad since I had a baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:21 AM
I am not addicted, per say.... But we have no landline my phone is the phone I have for emergencies, not just CMing :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Nope I'm not and I don't know anyone who is.

Threes.Company
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Yes, I am. As a SAHM, it is my only window to the outside world sometimes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I'm not that tied to it.  I think I annoy people when I don't see texts very quickly. lol  I wish they'd just call!

But, I do feel the need to always take it with me when leaving the house.  If I'm waiting, I always feel like I need to be able to look at it - either checking facebook or CM or the weather or whatever.  Perhaps the next time I'm waiting for my son in the K pick up line, I should try not picking up my phone.

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

No.  I don't even have a cell.

fraujones
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Sadly, I am. It's Words with Friends and CM Mobile that have me hooked. 

ceciliam
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Not in the least....I'm probably only one of the few on the planet.

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I don't have an Iphone, but I have dropped my cellphone in a bowl of water in my sink once. I was in that tired state too and wanted to drop a dish in there. That really sucked!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN