Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

My relationship with technology

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies

Yesterday's video got me thinking about our whole relationship with computer and gadgets...and how that is a relatively new thing. Right now, in my home, we have two desktop computers, one laptop, two iPads, three iPhones and an iPod.  Now, of the iPhones, only two are hooked up to phone lines, the other is now relegated to act as a souped-up iPod, with music and apps for the kiddo. And one of the desktop computers is so old, it acts as a second TV, where we can watch shows via the Internet or movies via the DVD player.

Is that a lot? I don't know. It sounds like a lot when I list it out, but I also think of what we don't have -- we don't have any Wii or Xbox or anything like that, nor is there a second TV. Just one in the living room.

I see so many kids with iPads, with phones walking around NYC...it is just assumed someone, at least from ages 10 up, have a gadget or device. Then I think about when I got my first cell phone...it must have been in maybe 1995? I was 23. Growing up, we didn't have a Wii or even an Atari, and we didn't even have a home computer until I was in high school. We had a typewriter.

Crazy to think about how gadgets have changed....and how they have changed our lives. It's even crazier to think about me explaining to Kiddo I didn't have Google, let alone the Internet or email or texts or apps, when I was in school.

Do you remember a time without as many gadgets? How many does your family have? Do your kids have phones or iPads?

©iStockphoto.com/ wragg 

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I do remember times without technology,
Have to say we do just fine with it all :)

Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:09 AM

We didn't have a computer until I was in high school and I didn't have a cell phone until college and even then, it was "only for emergencies!"  My parents would've skinned me if I'd have used it casually as they paid for it at the time.

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Yes I recall a time without and technology keeps getting ever faster  these days if it was not for my daughter I think it would have passed me by. Yes Ipads, cell phones 

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Growing up our tvs were black and white, we had a typewriter also, and when we finally got a tv with a remote, the remote was attached to the tv with a cord lol.

Now our home is decked out in all sorts of gadgets. Everyone has computers or laptops, tablets, phones. My dd got her 1st laptop when she was 7 or 8.

aneela
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM

of course i remember a time without all this stuff....im OLD lol...

my son is only 6 and heck NO he doesnt have a phone or ipad

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

It is crazy.  We also didn't get a computer until I was in high school - and then we only got to use it for typing reports.  I grew up without a tv, so definitely no gaming devices.  I was in my mid 20s when I got my first cell phone - and 27 or so when I got my first tv. lol

Now we have 1 tv (but still no gaming devices with the Wii), 2 laptops, 2 smartphones & 1 iPad.  My boys (ages 6 & 4) do play games on the iPad, but that's it for their electronic usage.  They do watch a movie maybe 3-4 times a week, but that's it for their tv time.

I'm not sure when my boys will get their own phones or any other electronic gadgets.

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I do remember a time without gadgets, but I had one of the first car phones, and one of the first mobile phones-huge contraptions, so I've been using them a long time, over 20 years. My family has one desk computer, a laptop, netbook, smartphones, grown kids have Iphones, tablets, lots of gadgets, the 13 year old has a phone, but no internet connection, and lots of game gismos.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I do remember a time with less technology.We are a pretty tech savvy house though.

ceciliam
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I do remember:)

As long as I have my laptop, I'm good. We recently got out son an iPad so he can use all the different educational apps.

4kidz916
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I remember a time with no electronic gadgets (yep, I'm old).  lol  My older kids have phones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement