Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

My relationship with technology

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday's video got me thinking about our whole relationship with computer and gadgets...and how that is a relatively new thing. Right now, in my home, we have two desktop computers, one laptop, two iPads, three iPhones and an iPod.  Now, of the iPhones, only two are hooked up to phone lines, the other is now relegated to act as a souped-up iPod, with music and apps for the kiddo. And one of the desktop computers is so old, it acts as a second TV, where we can watch shows via the Internet or movies via the DVD player.

Is that a lot? I don't know. It sounds like a lot when I list it out, but I also think of what we don't have -- we don't have any Wii or Xbox or anything like that, nor is there a second TV. Just one in the living room.

I see so many kids with iPads, with phones walking around NYC...it is just assumed someone, at least from ages 10 up, have a gadget or device. Then I think about when I got my first cell phone...it must have been in maybe 1995? I was 23. Growing up, we didn't have a Wii or even an Atari, and we didn't even have a home computer until I was in high school. We had a typewriter.

Crazy to think about how gadgets have changed....and how they have changed our lives. It's even crazier to think about me explaining to Kiddo I didn't have Google, let alone the Internet or email or texts or apps, when I was in school.

Do you remember a time without as many gadgets? How many does your family have? Do your kids have phones or iPads?

©iStockphoto.com/ wragg 

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-54):
RobynS
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM

DH and I only just added texting to our cell phone plan about a year ago! I feel like a fogey. (but I'm okay with that)

sukainah
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Oh yes, I do remember a time without gadgets.  We also didn't have Wii or Atari, no cell phones or computers.  We also had a typewriter.  Computers or cell phone had not even come out yet.

How many do we have?  I have a cell phone, we have a lap top, 2 PC's (one that really works).  My husband has a tablet and a Kindle.  We have a Wii.  And I'm pretty sure my kids are better on the computer than I am LOL.

The kids are way too young to have cell phones or iPads, but my sons know how to use their dad's tablet.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I do remember : ) My kid's do not have any tech toys yet. They just use ours. Well, they do have leap pads.

IncognitoOne
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I do. We had our own TVs and stereos and a shared computer growing up....my brother had all the video game systems and I had none. I spent more time outside or dancing in my room with the radio on a rainy day than he did.

We have 3 TVs, 2 laptops, 2 iPod touches, 1 iPad, PS, PS2, PS3, Wii, 2 3DSxl, 2 Leapster Explorers. My boys have their own 3DSxl and Leapster Explorer, and they share a 2nd generation iPod touch that DH found at work and no one claimed within 90days so he got to keep it..lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN