Mommy Treat Time: Peanut Butter-Chocolate Meringue Sandwiches
Peanut Butter-Chocolate Meringue Sandwiches from the My Recipes site & it is under 100 calories!
Creamy peanut butter filling is sandwiched between chocolate meringues, creating a flavor reminiscent of chocolate-peanut butter cups.
Yield: 15 servings (serving size: 1 cookie sandwich)
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat peanut butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- Preheat oven to 225º.
- Place the chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 45 seconds or until almost melted, stirring until smooth. Cool completely.
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper; secure with masking tape. Sift together 1/3 cup powdered sugar and cocoa.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high, and gradually add granulated sugar and then cocoa mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Add 1/2 cup of egg white mixture to melted chocolate; beat just until blended. Add chocolate mixture to remaining egg white mixture, and beat just until blended.
- Drop 30 mounds onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 225º for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn oven off; cool meringues in closed oven 1 1/2 hours or until dry. Carefully remove meringues from paper.
- Combine peanut butter and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Spread about 1 teaspoon of peanut butter mixture onto flat sides of 15 meringues, and top with remaining meringues.