Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Stress management strategy #2: Alter the situation

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM
  • 9 Replies

If you can’t avoid a stressful situation, try to alter it. Figure out what you can do to change things so the problem doesn’t present itself in the future. Often, this involves changing the way you communicate and operate in your daily life.

• Express your feelings instead of bottling them up. If something or someone is bothering you, communicate your concerns in an open and respectful way. If you don’t voice your feelings, resentment will build and the situation will likely remain the same.
  • Be willing to compromise. When you ask someone to change their behavior, be willing to do the same. If you both are willing to bend at least a little, you’ll have a good chance of finding a happy middle ground.
  • Be more assertive. Don’t take a backseat in your own life. Deal with problems head on, doing your best to anticipate and prevent them. If you’ve got an exam to study for and your chatty roommate just got home, say up front that you only have five minutes to talk.
  • Manage your time better. Poor time management can cause a lot of stress. When you’re stretched too thin and running behind, it’s hard to stay calm and focused. But if you plan ahead and make sure you don’t overextend yourself, you can alter the amount of stress you’re under.

What works for you?

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/stress_management_relief_coping.htm

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
slw123
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Being assertive works for me.

hugss
Take some *Time Out for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:43 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Expressing my feelings works best for me ;)

chrissydan
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM
I express myself my dh and he helps me figure out what to do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Right now my biggest stress making is out of my hands but it is ok. In the long run I think it will be worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sukainah
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM

These are good tips.  I need to change some things around here because I feel a lot of stress.

flowerfunleah
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:35 AM

These are all great tips!

flowerfunleah
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:35 AM

tfs!

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:20 AM

That's always good.

Quoting slw123:

Being assertive works for me.

fraujones
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I'm good at compromising. And I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong and apologize. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement