Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

3rd DUI and still a free man?

Posted by   + Show Post

A city councilman in my area was just arrested for his 3rd DUI. He was back at work the next morning. 

My next door neighbor was recently given a 6 month jail sentence (he served 1 month) for building code violations (he junked up his yard...think hoarder style) and failure to pay fines. It wasnt his first run in with the city, but still.....

Lets let someone who puts others lives at risk walk free to do it again. I mean if you dont learn your lesson after the first time nothing is going to change. I doubt 3 DUIs will stop him from doing it again. But then theyll toss someone in jail who was no real harm to anyone??? 

I do not get that logic at all!! Im glad my neighbor was forced to clean up his act before rodents or roaches made a home in all his stuff. I like that my city takes great pride in how it looks...his mess WAS an eyesore...but I would much rather see someone with multiple DUIs in jail!

Where is the logic in all of this??

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Replies (21-26):
liveforever
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:30 PM

OMG!!!!!

So glad she is ok. I cant believe he didnt get more time. I dont understand how non violent offenders (like money scams) can get so much more jail time then someone who kills or seriously injures someone!

Quoting RobynS:

GRRRRR!!!!

Years ago, my sister's abusive husband shot her in the head (she survived and is fine). I witnessed it, as did my brother AND their own kids, and 5 of my friends (it was 4th of July--we got a whole different kind of fireworks that year. :/ )

Anyway, he went to jail briefly--until his mommy bailed him out. Then he spent a few month's in the mental ward, but never went to prison at all for SHOOTING MY SISTER IN THE HEAD.

Our justice system is totally screwed up.

And I have ZERO tolerance for drunk drivers. ZERO!!!

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Doesn't make any sense at all.  Let's go after the real criminlas for once!

liveforever
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Oh wow! That must have been really scary!

Quoting celestegood:

We were in a strange state with no money. I was only seventeen and fil offered to drive us to his moms house (where we stayed for three days). He wasn't that drunk (I thought he was sober) but he kept alcohol under his seat! He downed a fifth of whiskey while driving us and was drinking out of a big bottle of schnapps while driving sixty mph down the highway! It was nuts.

Quoting liveforever:

20?! Wow that is insane!

Glad you guys are ok. If he was that drunk I wouldnt have gone with him.

Quoting celestegood:

My fil had over twenty DUIs. He never spent a day in jail or lost his license. He lived in a small town and grew up with the guys who ran the town. He would be told he could drive to work and home again but he was self employed. He could say he was on his way to work and nobody could dispute it.

He drove dh and me pregnant with our firstborn fall down drunk a hundred miles once and almost killed us.

People like that make me sick.

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Thats horrible.I have heard too many stories about people with duis who keep getting off and then end up killing someone.They should be charged with murder.After the first dui their license should be suspended and 30 days in jail.2nd offense a year in jail .3rd offense 5 years

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I think, partly, it's in the relative age of the statutes.

Hoarding, and the messy yard issues, have long been recognized as a danger to others: think rats, rabies, the Plague, etc.

Within my lifetime, the attitude toward drunk driving, socially, has gone from what amounted to 'I am legally allowed to drink, I have a licence to drive, they are not mutually exclusive' to, as you indicate, social-pariah status. It will take a while for the laws to catch up to those changes...

Do not look to laws for logic. There are currently so many laws on the books in the US that it is not only common for people to break them without any awareness, it's virtually inevitable.

IncognitoOne
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:03 AM

It always puzzles me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)