Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Is It OK to Have “Me” Time?

Posted by   + Show Post

Our lives are so full of obligations to our kids, our jobs and our families, how are we supposed to find time to do the things we love? Should we even try? Alicia Ybarbo, a TV Producer and author of "Today's Moms" and "Sh*tty Mom" joins the conversation. 

Do you think it's okay to have "me" time?

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
TheBabyFactory4
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM
so true

Quoting sanj1213:

Me too!:)

Quoting Bob192:

Of course, it not only benefits me, but my whole family!!  If I get some time, I take care of my family better!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I think me time will be more available once they are more self sufficient. I cant tell a toddler that doesnt take naps anymore to sit in his room for an hour.

Charizma77
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I have me time when my oldest are at school and my youngest is napping, when kids are in bed and whenever dh is playing with the kids I may slip away for a long shower or a nap. I feel like i get enough me time. no complaints.

.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM

i think some "me" time is needing to unwind and destress, an overstressed mom (or parent) isn't good for the kids.

timon95
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM

yup

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Gold Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I think it is a *must*
Moms need to make time for themselves in order to be better at all we do :)

KristinRox
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I think "me" time makes a mom better. Taking time to take care of themselves makes taking care of the little ones that much easier. ME time is an important part of being a great mother. 

KittleDiddle
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:01 AM
Linda, While I agree with much if the first portion of you comment, I don't think quoting Walsh is a fair assessment of modern-day motherhood. During the author's grandparents' time in our society, women were expected to provide most, if not all the care of the children while it was perfectly acceptable for the father/husband to spend very little hands-on responsibility, and in some cases, very little presence in the home with the children. There are some tasks you just cannot sufficiently perform (especially those that require concentration - like painting, reading, watching a movie) when there are constant distractions of our young children. Throughout history, well before Walsh's grandparents' time, those among us who could afford child care assistance, enlisted it in the home - if for no other reason, to have a reprieve from what truly is, for many working moms, akin to working a second job.
KittleDiddle
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:01 AM
Linda, While I agree with much if the first portion of you comment, I don't think quoting Walsh is a fair assessment of modern-day motherhood. During the author's grandparents' time in our society, women were expected to provide most, if not all the care of the children while it was perfectly acceptable for the father/husband to spend very little hands-on responsibility, and in some cases, very little presence in the home with the children. There are some tasks you just cannot sufficiently perform (especially those that require concentration - like painting, reading, watching a movie) when there are constant distractions of our young children. Throughout history, well before Walsh's grandparents' time, those among us who could afford child care assistance, enlisted it in the home - if for no other reason, to have a reprieve from what truly is, for many working moms, akin to working a second job.
pootersmomi
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Of course! I think it's mandatory. I've started running. It's great me time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)