Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How do you make each of your kids feel special?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies
1 mom liked this

This whole favorite child thing has been hanging with me. We kind of touched on this yesterday, but there's more to figure out and chat about, more practical ways to make each kiddo feel special and connected with you.

The more and more I think about it, it all comes down to time (oy, doesn't it always?). Time to figure out how you connect with your kids as parents, but also as people. One of the main things I read is that finding some sort of hobby or interest that both of you like is an essential way to stay connected to your kid, especially as they get older, enter the phase when they turn to friends more and aren't as into talking with you, having that shared thing can be your life-line to involvement with him or her.

It can be anything, from both of you following the ups and downs, trades, and so on of a sports team, a shared TV show, gardening, collecting pug figurines, baking, astronomy, Suduko....who knows. And it may change, but having that one thing you can do together and talk about can make each of your children feel special.

But again, it goes back to time, making time for one-on-one time with each of your kids...I know, you need that advice and one more thing to do like you need 83 loads of laundry...if only there was a few extra hours in the day, huh?

How do you spend one-on-one time with each kiddo? Do you share a common interest?

©iStockphoto.com/ bopav    

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I try to spend one on one time mst days a week. i play catch a lot with my son, read to my youngest at night, my middle daughter loves to help me cook.

Janet
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Spend time with each one of them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Yes everyday after school time .. common interests some shows, the animals and cooking

timon95
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM

time with ds means watching him play Skylanders and listening to him tell me all about it. Time with dd is watching dancing with the stars or one of her recital dvds

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM

We spend time with each of the kid's individually.

goddess99
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I just have 1 so it's easy. I do encourage her to join clubs and groups that expand her interests. The family is now a member of a rock and gem club. I enjoy going to the meetings with my dd. She loves it and I'm shocked of how much she knows, alot more than me that's for sure.

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I send plenty of time with my youngest since he lives with me. It's spending time with my older children that is the challenge. Especially my oldest son, since he doesn't like talking on the phone. I actually got him talking to me on facebook though, by having his younger brother say things and type what he said. I'd say victory! LOL

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I do make sure I have one on one time with each of the kids even if its something as simple as taking them to the store with me. 

BabyTeki
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Try to have some one on one with each.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I  have the hardest time with my son. he's my youngest and with me most so I am glad  I get to spend  that with him until he starts Kindergarten in the fall  and before the baby comes. A little bit ago, we were just cuddling  on the couch and talking. I love when he plays with my fingers and talks about whatever.

My daughter is 10 and it's just easier being with her but, she's at a snotty age, so that gets her in trouble a lot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN