Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How do you make each of your kids feel special?

Posted by   + Show Post

This whole favorite child thing has been hanging with me. We kind of touched on this yesterday, but there's more to figure out and chat about, more practical ways to make each kiddo feel special and connected with you.

The more and more I think about it, it all comes down to time (oy, doesn't it always?). Time to figure out how you connect with your kids as parents, but also as people. One of the main things I read is that finding some sort of hobby or interest that both of you like is an essential way to stay connected to your kid, especially as they get older, enter the phase when they turn to friends more and aren't as into talking with you, having that shared thing can be your life-line to involvement with him or her.

It can be anything, from both of you following the ups and downs, trades, and so on of a sports team, a shared TV show, gardening, collecting pug figurines, baking, astronomy, Suduko....who knows. And it may change, but having that one thing you can do together and talk about can make each of your children feel special.

But again, it goes back to time, making time for one-on-one time with each of your kids...I know, you need that advice and one more thing to do like you need 83 loads of laundry...if only there was a few extra hours in the day, huh?

How do you spend one-on-one time with each kiddo? Do you share a common interest?

©iStockphoto.com/ bopav    

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-54):
Leelee1008
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM

as my boys are getting older, they really dont care to spend one on one time with me. The only amount of time alone I get with them is if one agrees to go to the store with me. or if I only take one to practice.

Stevensmomma
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM

well ds is 9 mths so hes easy right now in that feild but ds 5 yrs i try to do little things like ice cream or something he loves

tinysmom160
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I have a close bond with both my kids in different ways

MomTiara19
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM

My son is 21 and has his own place.Sometimes I stop by his apartment and bring him homemade food and we eat and talk.

My daughter is 13 and of course we go to the mall and go shopping and grab strawberry banana smoothies:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)