Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Fighting...can you do it better?

Posted by   + Show Post

Let's put it out there: no one likes fighting. Not with their parents, not with their kids and definitely not with their spouse. No one thinks, "You know, I really really hope I get into an argument with my spouse tonight - that would be just awesome!" Really, no one does. But, fights happen. And some may take issue with the word "fight" - so let's include disagreements and "heated discussions." All are under that umbrella, but for sake of typing, I'm going to use the word fight.

But some folks fight in a productive way and others, well, don't necessarily fight in a way to achieve a resolution. Slamming doors. Name-calling. Blaming. All of the above...yeah, you guessed it, not "good fighting." What is "good fighting"? Listening, hearing, using a statement delivery so the other person hears you (like instead of "You always do XYZ!", use "When you do XYZ, it makes me feel frustrated!")

More often that not, an argument brings up huge emotions, and they can take on a life of their own, but to really fight in a good way, well, we've got to be smart about it -- no matter how upset we are, which, believe me, I know how hard that is to do. Remember, sometimes, the fighting and how you both fight can make the whole situation worse than it needs to be just because you aren't fighting, arguing, disagreeing in a "good" way.

Are you and your spouse "good" fighters or do you need some work on those disagreement skills? 

©iStockphoto.com/ Marek Uliasz 

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-53):
MrsRobinson06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM
For the longest time we were horrible fighters but over time we have learned ways to stop an argument when it starts to get out of hand.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM

It's pretty cool.

We're enjoying it...

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

28 years! That's awesome.

Quoting LindaClement:

We are now.

28 years into it.

We all had some growing up and learning to do... 

Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM

We could definitely use some work.  we don't fight we just sit and ignore each other when we are mad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN