Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Do you have "hot button" topics?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 49 Replies

Since we are on the topic, let's go there: what do you fight most about? Sure, it can vary depending on the time of year -- around the holidays, it may be some old family issues, dealing with in-laws and so on, while other times it could be money and finances, while still other times, it could be a kid issue.

So, what do you fight most about? The more I talk to couples, the more I realize every couple has those same two or three things that crop up all of the time, every after year, things that have been around loooong before. Is it one person's tone? It is another person's selfishness? Is it finances, as one person is a spender, while the other is a saver? Is it that his mom is too involved and he won't talk to her about it?

What my husband and I realized a few years in...we will always fight about a few certain things. Things that are in each of our inherent nature and just always will be an eternal point of contention. What could we do about it? Well, we decided that when it came to those issues, we have to have a concentrated effort to remove the emotion from that argument and recognize that there's a level of issue-ness there. Those things still crop up, but most often, now, realizing that the arguments stem from something in our nature just not meshing, we can handle it better, be more on a discussion level...rather than a fight level. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

What do you fight most about?

©iStockphoto.com/ raywoo 

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pittymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:01 AM

his attitude. we can't ever have a conversation without him getting a defensive attitude. 

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:39 AM

His LYING!!!

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I read that the top three things couples fight about are: money, sex, and the kids. We just fight about money. If it were up to me, we'd put every single extra penny we could towards bills and paying down debt. He likes balance and to have a little fun lol.

louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I think the main thing we fought about was his family.  They would complain that we didn't see each other very much but when we'd invite them over to eat or hang out....they were busy.  Finally I just told him....I don't want to hear it anymore.  We invite them....they don't come.  We call to go to their house....they're busy.  It was ridiculous.

wandep
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM

budget

Janet
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM
This and money. I like to pay bills off.

Quoting pittymama:

his attitude. we can't ever have a conversation without him getting a defensive attitude. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Him helping out is one that gets to me most

pittymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM

most of his defensive attitude is about money. even talking about the budget for the month gets him all flustered.

Quoting Janet:

This and money. I like to pay bills off.

Quoting pittymama:

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I would say disagreements probably evolve from finances.

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Family relationships are really the only thing we ever fight about... Extended family, grandparents, etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN