Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How do you teach respect?

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 56 Replies

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Find out what it means to me... 

Aretha Franklin sang about it. The element of treating the person you are in a relationship with kindly, generously and yes with respect. How do we teach this to our kids? 

It starts with you and your spouse. How do you treat each other? What do they see in terms of how relationships work? Do you speak kindly to each other? Do you say thank you to him? Do you make sure he treats you with love and respect?  Yeah, this is where it all starts. The kids watch and see what is placed before them...even other relationships that they may be exposed to - what are they teaching them? 

Now, I talk about this because my kiddo is only just about 6, so we haven't entered the world of her own relationships, but I guess then she does, we'd talk about it. Make sure that she knows how she should be treated from that person...and how she should treat him. Which goes hand in hand with building her own confidence, right? Solidifying her inner self-esteem...oy, it all goes together, doesn't it?

How do you display respect in your relationships? 

©iStockphoto.com/travellinglight 

by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babyboxfish
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:38 AM

we are always respectful, communicate everything, and we do so in quiet even tones when we're in front of our kids

we never raise our voice and we sort things out as they happen

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:45 AM

We treat each other the way we want to be treated. We listen to each other.

wandep
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:15 AM

This. :)

Quoting mrswillie:

SlightlyPerfect
I'm not ready.
Today at 9:25 AM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:23 AM

You cant give what you don't have, I work with DD endlessly on the construction of her self-esteem. That way she'll have plenty when she's older and that means plenty to give.

slightlyperfect

aneela
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:41 AM

this is a tough thing to teach sometimes when we know how we should be treated and then other people do not live up to that general standard...but it should not stop anyone from trying to do the right thing

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I think tone of voice and attitude towards the other person goes a long way in modeling respect, both with my son and with my spouse.

chrissydan
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:53 AM
We teach by example actioms speak loauder than words
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Exactly.

Quoting chrissydan:

We teach by example actioms speak loauder than words

goddess99
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Nicely said. This.

Quoting mrswillie:

kmqw229
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
We try to model the behavior we'd like our kids to have. Right now my kids are pretty little, so we explain as we go :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)