Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How Do We Talk To Our Kids About Sex?

Posted by   + Show Post

Andrew has two teenage boys, so he is ready for advice! Sexologist and Sexuality Educator, Dr. Logan Levkoff is here to help us break down the birds and the bees. 

How Do We Talk To Our Kids About Sex?

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Replies (31-40):
BabyTeki
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:08 PM
I'm sooooo not looking forward to the talks
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mothershelper
by on Apr. 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Let me start by admitting even though I am in my 50's, no one in my household growing up talked about the topic. I was only told that I would be killed if I got pregnant. The only thing it really meant was I would be disowned. I got married when I was in my 20's. I did not get pregnant. Other people I did grow up in the midwest unfortunately did get pregnant in high school. The only thing that showed me was it does happen, it is unfortunate, and I was not going to follow suit. I have a daughter myself and unfortunately she decided to get preg;nant outside marriage but she was at least out of high school. I had told her the same as I was told, She called me instread of telling me to my face. What was I really going to do? Well killing her was never on the table. I have a beautiful 11 year old grandson. I love both my children. I also have a son almost 21. He does not have any children yet. Thank you god. Should he decide to have a child before wedlock, well I can't kill him either. Parents should talk to their children about sex. There is a time and place for everything. I do not believe children should be taught in kindergarten. They should be told the facts of life before or right after they show an interest in the opposite sex. This way the parents at least have tried.
letstalk747
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 12:17 AM
this subject is one of my worst nightmares , i try to tell them whats appropriate AND WHATS NOT AS THEY GET OLDER more info
KristinRox
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

for us I knew that it was time to start talking to my 10 year old about sex when she started to hear things on the playground, and the information was inaccurate. I just wanted her to know proper information. 

Leelee1008
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM

ugh I really couldnt handle that one. It makes me cringe. DH is in charge of the boys, I will handle DD when she gets much older

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I think asking them what they know would be a good start. 

othermom
by Gold Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I have not done it yet, but need to

hollydaze1974
by on Apr. 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM
I speak openly with my children about sex.... So much so ( apparently) I had one of thier friends (14 yr old female) mine are boys. Ask my advice about having sex with a 17 yr old and I think I talked her into waiting. Odd convo, but she says her mom didn't give an eff.

Hard to not lecture, but I did a decent job, I think she's decided to wait. WHEW!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 11:13 AM

When the time is right, I'll be having an open and honest talk with my dd. She's not ready yet.

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Apr. 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I think that age appropriate responds are the way to go. And hopefully they have been asking questions before they became teenagers. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)