ROTD 4/8 Black Pepper Pasta Salad with Prosciutto, Asparagus, and Romano
Black Pepper Pasta Salad with Prosciutto, Asparagus, and Romano from the My Recipes site!
This mayonnaise-based pasta salad veers from the traditional with salty Italian ham, nutty asparagus, and a generous grinding of pepper.
- 8 ounces uncooked cavatappi pasta or elbow macaroni
- 3 cups (1 1/2-inch) slices asparagus (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 6 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 1/2 ounces pecorino Romano cheese, grated (about 1/3 cup packed)
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Add asparagus during the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add prosciutto, and cook for 6 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove prosciutto from pan using a slotted spoon, leaving drippings in pan. Drain prosciutto on paper towels. Add the shallots to drippings in pan; cook over medium heat for 1 minute or until shallots are tender, stirring frequently.
- 3. Combine mayonnaise, lemon rind, tarragon, juice, pepper, and salt in a large bowl; stir well. Add pasta, asparagus, three-fourths prosciutto, shallots, tomato, and cheese; toss well to coat. Top servings evenly with remaining prosciutto.