Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How Do We Cope with Our Aging Parents?

Posted by   + Show Post

Our parents are getting older and now it's time for us to be the caregivers. Watch to hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck have to say about this really important topic. 

How do we handle that transition, and what's the best way to help our parents in the aging process? 

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Replies (11-20):
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:39 AM

I have no contact with my parents

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Sadly, my Mom isn't that old (62) but she has terminal cancer, so between my sisters and I, it has been tough.  I am out of state, so I have to fly out every few months to help out with radiation appointments and to just give my sisters a break.

Janet
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:13 AM

My mom is up there in years and has chronic heart failure and kidney failure. She has been staying with me for a while now. I really don't want her to go home. She lives by herself. She is a fall risk and when she gets sick she doesn't call and tell anyone. I love my mom so much. My dad died when I was a teenager. We were never close.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM

My Mom is in her 40's so we are not there yet.

4kidz916
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Just make sure to give them respect.  Even though they are aging and becoming less independent, they are still our parents and they deserve to enter that stage of life with some dignity.  And remember to make every minute count.  I just lost my father a few weeks ago and I'd give anything to have more time with him.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM

My parents are both in their 70's and are slowing down a lot.  I haven't  had to care for them yet, as I have little kids I am taking care of, but we talk about it.  It's really sad to think about losing my parents.  I just had a friend lose her mom and she was taking care of her and her little 2 year old daughter and DH at the same time, right up until the moment she passed.  And now she will take care of her dad, she cooks him meals and makes sure the home is clean etc...

Stevensmomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

I'm not at this point yet. It's my grandparents that are aging

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

My parents aren't at that point yet.  My MIL was just diagnosed with cancer, so I'm not sure what's going to happen with that.  It's rough that she's 2.5 hours away.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I haven't had to do this, but I've watched my mom go through it with her mom.
kmqw229
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM
My parents are not that old yet, but when the time comes we have decided to help them as much as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)