Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How Do We Cope with Our Aging Parents?

Posted by   + Show Post

Our parents are getting older and now it's time for us to be the caregivers. Watch to hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck have to say about this really important topic. 

How do we handle that transition, and what's the best way to help our parents in the aging process? 

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM

We are going through this right now. My FIL lives with us and has diabetes, heart disease, COPD and has been in and out of the hospital. It has been very stressful on my DH and me, also dad contributes on the monthly bills as well. I think that it's going to be really hard in more ways than one when he is gone. Our DS has grown quite attached to him, since he has lived with us since before DS was born. Ok, the way I put that doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean. More coffee please! LOL

Kmakksmom
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I am not at that stage yet.  Yes, my mom and dad are in their early 60s, but they are both in excellent health.  So are my MiL and FiL.  If need be they are welcome to come and live either with us or near us as they age so that we can help take care of them.

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:12 PM

My dad passed away a few years ago from cancer and my mom lives on the other side of the country. My sisters and I have talked about it and we think my sister Joy would be the best choice to care for her. 

sanj1213
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I'm no there with my parents yet. 

RobynS
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM

My dad is 82, has emphysema, and still smokes. My mom (the 'strong one') is 77 and recently started to develop some serious short-term memory loss. It's terrifying! I feel like I could lose my dad (physically) any day and like I'm gradually losing my mom mentally.

It's been weighing heavy on my heart. I tear up (hell, break down and sob!) almost daily worrying about them. I'm doing all that I can to help them, but they are a stubborn pair, so they don't always let me help and often refuse advice from me and my sibs (such as when we encourage them to see their doctor, etc).

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I lost my Dad almost 10 years ago and my Mom last year. I am not coping well. I miss them.I feel guilt over my Mom's passing b/ c I put her into the nursing home. She had end stage alzheimers.I still blame the nursing home for neglect which caused her to pass. I think about and miss her every single
elasmimi
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I have already dealt with the issue, now I am looking at BEING the aging parent. I had a role model for the good and the bad when dealing with my mother. First thing we plan to do is pre arrange our funeral plans. She had done that years ago, and it was such a big help.

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM

For me before I go anywhere I check to see if there is anything Momma needs and I take care if those needs before I go. I also check to make sure she has seen all her dr.'s and has what she needs. I do check ins with her a few times a week as well.

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM
I hear you. In the last few years I have lost three of my grandparents and DH has lost his last two. Now the only one left is my grandma and she has alzheimers really bad. It is hard.
Quoting .Angelica.:

i'm not there with my parents yet. my parents are there with theirs right now though. it is hard watching my grandparents health deteriorate. :(

KaylaMillar
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM

not at this age yet =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)