Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How Do We Cope with Our Aging Parents?

Posted by   + Show Post

Our parents are getting older and now it's time for us to be the caregivers. Watch to hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck have to say about this really important topic. 

How do we handle that transition, and what's the best way to help our parents in the aging process? 

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Replies (31-40):
arpazia
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:06 PM
I'm not really sure.
My dh dad had a stroke and it was really difficult, not letting him do the things he's done for years.
louannwilkins
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:54 PM

It's hard for sure.  My dad died suddenly in 2007 and I've tried to look out for my mom ever since.  I'd always been close to both of them but now it's different.  Thankfully we have always been close so she doesn't feel like I'm trying to run her life or tell her what to do.  She is happy to have me around and know that she can turn to me.  I'm not sure what will happen in the future but I hope I can always look after my mom.  She is such a blessing and a best friend.

mamavalor
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM

One day at a time...

Charizma77
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM

My parents are both 55 but lately my dads health hasn't been good. Dh's parents are both deceased. I guess it's something to start thinking about.

Sisteract
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:49 PM
I am older than many posters' parents (mid 50s). My parents are nearing 80 and still fairly healthy. My hub's parents have been deceased for years.
Bob192
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Be supportive of their needs and be aware of what services are available for them.

wandep
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Mine are in their 70s and are very stuborn. LOL Its hard. They don't act like they are in their 70s tho...my dad is retired and keeps busy around the house. My mom still works at the same job she has worked at over 30 years ago. It amazes us. We keep asking her to retire but she won't.
othermom
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM
So a my parents and grandparents are doing pretty good. I am thankful that they are
MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Same here

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Both my husband and I are from teen parents and neither of our parent are even 50 yet. I guess that's a bridge we will cross when we get there.

Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM
My mom is hardly aged to the point in this video. However... both parents are 50 and already I have noticed changes in their veiws and memories. My mother was diagnosed with diabetese and tacka cardia but she remains strong. I find her ever changing emotions and veiws the hardest adjustment personally.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement