Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How Do We Cope with Our Aging Parents?

Posted by   + Show Post

Our parents are getting older and now it's time for us to be the caregivers. Watch to hear what Andrew, Joanie and Chuck have to say about this really important topic. 

How do we handle that transition, and what's the best way to help our parents in the aging process? 

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Replies (41-50):
Samanthamommy
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Learn as we grow.

MrsRobinson06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Its a hard reality we must all face. I lost my mom two years ago and my dad is now all alone in a different state. It scares me to think what may happen. I make sure to talk to him often.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Truelove77
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM
@ arms length LOL. I only have my mom she is only in her 50s so she is in good health
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:58 PM
My mother is dying of a brain tumor, but regardless, we've always lived every day to the fullest, so I have no regrets.
countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:15 PM
That is wonderful that you are so close with her.
Quoting louannwilkins:

It's hard for sure.  My dad died suddenly in 2007 and I've tried to look out for my mom ever since.  I'd always been close to both of them but now it's different.  Thankfully we have always been close so she doesn't feel like I'm trying to run her life or tell her what to do.  She is happy to have me around and know that she can turn to me.  I'm not sure what will happen in the future but I hope I can always look after my mom.  She is such a blessing and a best friend.

1squishysmom
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Dad died 3 years ago and mom i a very young 73. A couple months ago, we bought a little house for her, VERY close to us, preparing for the future. She is so happy in her new little house. I am an only child so I can't share responsibilities. My husband and our youngest son, 17, helps her a lot. She is now within walking distance and it's great! Thank goodness she is still able to be on her own.

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:57 AM

My mom is 72. I am over there doing stuff all the time. It's a fine line between interference and Independance. Some stuff she shouldn't be attempting 

Threes.Company
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM

My parents are going through the process of taking care of aging parents.  My dad's parents have both passed now, but my mom's parents are both alive still -- with many medical needs and such.

copperswifey
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Luckily my parents are in great health. They try to stay active and take care of themselves. My parents live 2000 miles away. I wouldn't be able to help them that much if they needed it. Hopefully they won't for a very, very, very, long time :)

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:58 PM
That is so wonderful that she is able to be so close to you where you can help her but she can still feel independent.
Quoting 1squishysmom:

Dad died 3 years ago and mom i a very young 73. A couple months ago, we bought a little house for her, VERY close to us, preparing for the future. She is so happy in her new little house. I am an only child so I can't share responsibilities. My husband and our youngest son, 17, helps her a lot. She is now within walking distance and it's great! Thank goodness she is still able to be on her own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)