Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Can Women Ever REALLY Rule the World?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM
  • 62 Replies

Are men holding women back, or are we doing it to ourselves? ABC News Correspondent Amy Robach (who also happens to be Joanie's daughter and Andrew's wife) works in the male-dominated field of TV news. She joins the discussion about Facebook CFO Sheryl Sandberg's book "Lean In" and what it will take for women to finally have it all.  

Can Women Ever REALLY Rule the World?

by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I think women have internalized a lot of the socio-cultural sexism that used to float around. It still does, but not to the same extent. So that does hold them back, especially since it's difficult to pinpoint and change when a person is immersed in it. I think with every generation the landscape becomes more equalized.

slightlyperfect

Rushn311
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM

No. I just think it will always be a mans world.

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I think women are just as guilty of men as sexism, double standards, and holding other women back.
GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM
3 moms liked this

I think we as women get in our way for getting ahead when we think we should be able to "have it all" without looking at how men are able to "have it all".  Most men who "have it all" have a supportive spouse who either stays home or works part time or at a much less demanding job so the man can focus on his work without worrying about whether the kids have had supper or done their homework. So unless we destigmatize stay at home dads, women are going to have a harder time.

brittany208
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM
I think they CAN... but not everyone has the same definition of "rule the world." If I was a career woman and not here for my babies growing up--I don't care how many promotions I got--I would still feel like a failure as a mother, personally. Success for me right now is working part time, being home to take care of my children, and having time to do volunteer work. But for those women who DO want the top level jobs, sure, I do believe it is more difficult for them. But I wouldnt say one person is to blame.
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I think strong women could rule the world.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM

There have been some really great women leaders in this world and have succeeded.  I think they can do very well and I think we are getting closer to having more women leaders.

ceciliam
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Don't we, already? ;)

LindaClement
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I know a lot of women look at the bottom of the 'glass ceiling' and don't want what is there: it's kinda ugly up there.

I do not want to 'get to the top' of anyone else's business, because I'm not interested in working with those dudes --I've been close enough to them to know that society pretty well, and I'm NOT hanging out there.

slw123
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I would have to say YES!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement