Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How I am changing the world

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 45 Replies

There's always been discussions about it...women in the work force, how women can become presidents, CEOs, and so on, the comparison of women and men, our changing roles...and now, we have  "Leaning In," that latest book tha comes in a long, long, long line of books and essays on kind of life women want to have and how it is possible - or not -- to have it. Recently, I ran across this one in the Washington Post by Elsa Walsh, which made me nod my head quite a bit...it breaks the whole question apart and looks at it from the whole length of a woman's life.

But back to the topic in the video (wasn't it cool to have Amy in with the group?): can women ever rule the world? When I think of this, I go a little beyond the elements that were discussed in the video. I say Probably women can...if -- and there are big Ifs and a lot of them. If they have help. If they are surrounded a community that is supportive financially and personally via better health care and childcare to be able to compete in that man's world. If women stopped judging each other for individual decisions (yeah, I'm talking about stuff like breastfeeding or not breastfeeding, working or not working).

If we wanted to, if we as women banded together and used the strength we naturally have, we could break that glass ceiling and rule the world. If we bash the double standards we put on ourselves, we could.

But, is that reality? No.

I come back to this one example: say there was a woman running for president with small kids, kids who are maybe eight or 10 or even 16. It would, more than likely, be a small, tiny, teeny amount of time before someone -- or many someones, like the media, those running against her, the voting public -- raises question of how she will be able to be the Commander in Chief and a "good mom" at the same time.

You know it would happen...which is sad...as no one has ever asked that of a man running for office.

But all of this is a lofty, long answer, eh? And, to tell you the truth, I'm a little tired of this topic, as there is a lot of talk (and a lot of books) about it, but nothing much changes. Maybe we should rephrase the question. Maybe the question we should be asking is can women change the world? Can women make it better?

Yes. Definitely.

There is something that I know do now -- regardless of my job outside the home or inside the home, regardless of my financial situation, regardless if I get that raise or get a better haircut, regardless if I breastfed my kids or not, regardless of where any of us fall on all of those hot button topics that make us go against each other. I consciously and purposely raise my kiddo to be a good person. I teach her kindness and tolerance and empathy. I teach her to be confident. I teach her to be honest with herself and others. I teach her to be curious, to ask questions -- especially the hard ones. I teach her what truly matters in life. That is how I am changing the world...and so, kind of, sort of, maybe women will rule it one day.

Ohhh, it's a biggie today. What do you think -- can women rule the world? Can we change it? Do you want to? (And did you love having Amy as part of the panel? I know I did!)

©iStockphoto.com/ travellinglight  

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4kidz916
by Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I think women have the opportunity to get ahead but I think  those of us that chose to also have a family can be held back by those responsibilities.  I know for me, it's more important to spend quality time with my kids than to work the extra hours that could potentially put my business at a larger scale (which would also add more responsibility to me and take away from my kids).  So I have chosen to be happy where I am in life and enjoy my family. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I think so.

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I think women could make a powerful presence in the world.

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Yes they sure can. Women thorughout history have made a difference in the world. Why not now? 

goddess99
by Silver Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM

When I think about people who have impacted the world For The Better, more women than men come to mind.

othermom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I think women can change the world even in small ways to start

BabyTeki
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Good way to put it

Quoting 4kidz916:

I think women have the opportunity to get ahead but I think  those of us that chose to also have a family can be held back by those responsibilities.  I know for me, it's more important to spend quality time with my kids than to work the extra hours that could potentially put my business at a larger scale (which would also add more responsibility to me and take away from my kids).  So I have chosen to be happy where I am in life and enjoy my family. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I do seem to remember Pres Obama being asked how he would be a good parent to his young girls if elected.  Or maybe he was asked once he was elected.  There was discussion, too, about asking Mrs Robinson (Mrs Obama's mother) to move to DC with them to provide a stable home for the girls.  I thought having Mrs Robinson move with them was a good decision by the Obamas.

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Ever hear the saying 'The Hand that Rocks the Cradle Rules the World'? I do think there is a lot of truth to that - as mothers we have a lot of influence over our children & can raise them to be good people who have a positive influence in the world.  There are many successful people who talk about their mothers having a big impact on them & the person they became.

I do think, though, that there is entirely too much emphasis on outside, material things for judging the success of people.  Happiness doesn't tend to have anything to do with outside success, although it can make it easier to be happy.  One of the best ways to change the world is to be happy & positive & be a good influence on those around you.  If you can be a positive influence on others, you can change the world, even if its just your small part of it.

Hi_Rae
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM
I believe women, as mothers especially have the power to change and mold the next generation and in turn change the world.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN