Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How I am changing the world

Posted by   + Show Post

There's always been discussions about it...women in the work force, how women can become presidents, CEOs, and so on, the comparison of women and men, our changing roles...and now, we have  "Leaning In," that latest book tha comes in a long, long, long line of books and essays on kind of life women want to have and how it is possible - or not -- to have it. Recently, I ran across this one in the Washington Post by Elsa Walsh, which made me nod my head quite a bit...it breaks the whole question apart and looks at it from the whole length of a woman's life.

But back to the topic in the video (wasn't it cool to have Amy in with the group?): can women ever rule the world? When I think of this, I go a little beyond the elements that were discussed in the video. I say Probably women can...if -- and there are big Ifs and a lot of them. If they have help. If they are surrounded a community that is supportive financially and personally via better health care and childcare to be able to compete in that man's world. If women stopped judging each other for individual decisions (yeah, I'm talking about stuff like breastfeeding or not breastfeeding, working or not working).

If we wanted to, if we as women banded together and used the strength we naturally have, we could break that glass ceiling and rule the world. If we bash the double standards we put on ourselves, we could.

But, is that reality? No.

I come back to this one example: say there was a woman running for president with small kids, kids who are maybe eight or 10 or even 16. It would, more than likely, be a small, tiny, teeny amount of time before someone -- or many someones, like the media, those running against her, the voting public -- raises question of how she will be able to be the Commander in Chief and a "good mom" at the same time.

You know it would happen...which is sad...as no one has ever asked that of a man running for office.

But all of this is a lofty, long answer, eh? And, to tell you the truth, I'm a little tired of this topic, as there is a lot of talk (and a lot of books) about it, but nothing much changes. Maybe we should rephrase the question. Maybe the question we should be asking is can women change the world? Can women make it better?

Yes. Definitely.

There is something that I know do now -- regardless of my job outside the home or inside the home, regardless of my financial situation, regardless if I get that raise or get a better haircut, regardless if I breastfed my kids or not, regardless of where any of us fall on all of those hot button topics that make us go against each other. I consciously and purposely raise my kiddo to be a good person. I teach her kindness and tolerance and empathy. I teach her to be confident. I teach her to be honest with herself and others. I teach her to be curious, to ask questions -- especially the hard ones. I teach her what truly matters in life. That is how I am changing the world...and so, kind of, sort of, maybe women will rule it one day.

Ohhh, it's a biggie today. What do you think -- can women rule the world? Can we change it? Do you want to? (And did you love having Amy as part of the panel? I know I did!)

©iStockphoto.com/ travellinglight  

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-45):
Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I think we could rule to an extent....we could be presidents....we could make huge changes....it will be hard and there will be protests and threats, but men will come to understand that we are just as powerful if not more so than they are.

Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Quoting elasmimi:

I will be accused of being old fashioned, and I probably am, but I think women can best change the world by raising children to continue to make the world a better place. I had a career, and I enjoyed it, (retired now) but I think my biggest contribution will be raising a strong, morally upright, challenging daughter.

I agree with this 100 percent ! This will be my contribution as well. :)

CafeMom Tickers
TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Agreed.  =-)

Quoting mrswillie:

I believe we can do anything if we set our minds to it.

funhappymom
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Some days I think I was born in the wrong decade. I love that I have a say in so many things but I think I would have been just as happy being a housewife in the 50s.

funhappymom
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Quoting Reina13:

I firmly believe that 'the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world'. Women have the power to mold the future generation and that is the power that should not be taken lightly. We need to educate our children along with teaching them right from wrong. Empathy and kindness and instill in them a strong sense of perseverance, justice and work ethics.

I totally agree.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN