Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

A great tip for every woman?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 70 Replies
1 mom liked this

In her book Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead, Sheryl Sandberg offers up a few, quite compelling bits of advice for those women who want to succeed...many take these as tips only for climbing the business ladder, but actually there is one that can be carried over to, well, life. (One tip she doesn't touch on is the importance of a fabulous hairstyle that looks great no matter the weather, but I digress.)

Among other tidbits, she says one of the most important career decisions a woman can make is her partner, whom she marries, that person she wants to walk this life path with. She has a whole chapter on it, titled "Make Your Partner a Real Partner." Sandberg writes: "I truly believe that the single most important career decision that a woman makes is whether she will have a life partner and who that partner is. I don't know of a single woman in a leadership position whose life partner is not fully -- and I mean fully -- supportive of her career."

I think this goes for more than just succeeding in business or being a powerful career woman, I think this goes for being successful in life, in motherhood, in growing into the person you want to be - you need a partner that is committed, supportive, and encourages you. One that is a full-on, active player in the marriage and the parenting. It's huge, it's essential, it's as vital as a great haircut...I admit I haven't found that elusive great haircut, but I did make a great choice in my partner.

Have you read Lean In? What do you think about the importance of a good partner?

©iStockphoto.com/daddybit             

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wandep
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Never heard of it.

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Never heard of it or her,I think having honesty and being able to trust your partner is very important.

goddess99
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I've not read it but I think a good, equal partner is imperative in making a marriage (or career) work and be successful.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I have not read the book.  I do know I have my husbands support 100% regarding every aspect of my life.

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree that chosing a wonderful partner is the best thing women (and men) can do to be successful at whatever they are doing.  Choose a crappy man to be your husband & the father of your children & life will be a greater struggle than if you chose a mature, stable, supportive, kind man.

I didn't get married until I was 36 because I was holding out for my DH.  He was well worth the wait!

I haven't read Lean In yet - I'll have to see if my library has it.

othermom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Never read it.  It is important to be a good partner, to respect each other and to work together

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM

No.  I never heard of it.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I haven't heard of it, but I think it is very important to have a good partner.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree.  And I'm glad you waited to find that perfect partner!

Quoting GwenMB:

I agree that chosing a wonderful partner is the best thing women (and men) can do to be successful at whatever they are doing.  Choose a crappy man to be your husband & the father of your children & life will be a greater struggle than if you chose a mature, stable, supportive, kind man.

I didn't get married until I was 36 because I was holding out for my DH.  He was well worth the wait!

I haven't read Lean In yet - I'll have to see if my library has it.

ceciliam
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I think having a great life partner is very important but I don't have any interest in, Lean In.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)