Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Kids vs. Spouse -- Another Question?

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, a little light-hearted tidbit related to the whole kids vs. spouse debate. I have to ask: who is the worse when they are sick -- your kids or your spouse? Take a moment. Don't rush to answer. Think about when your son had the tummy bug or perhaps youe daughter had an ear infection. Got that memory? Good. Now, think of the last time your spouse was sick...perhaps a cold or the flu? Right.

Soooo, who's worse?

In my house, hands down, my spouse is the worst one when sick. A minor cold, a touch of the flu, well, let's just say he can't do anything but become one with the couch, morph right into its cushions. Even when Kiddo is sick, she'll hang on the couch a lot, but then she'll have spurts of playing and functioning. She will want to go to school even while suffering from bad spring allergies. My husband? Um, yeah, not so much.

I remember having the flu and trying to read a book to Kiddo at bedtime, laying on the floor (not in the bed to try to avoid ubergerm swappage), about to fall asleep to my own voice. Even with colds and sinus infections, I still manage to pack lunches, work, ferry her to piano lessons and supervise homework.

Somehow, my husband is missing that "functioning while sick" gene. Thank goodness the kiddo got it from me.

Sooooooo, in your house, who is the worst sick patient -- your kids or your spouse?

©iStockphoto.com/ damedeeso

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
Janet
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM
The kids. My DH just goes to bed. Doesn't bother me.
ashley9603
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM

My dh is the worst.He acts like he will die if he gets a little cold....he is like having 3 sick kids at once.Its pretty bad.Luckily for me he only gets sick really bad once a year.

Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Df, hands down. Neither of my kids have ever really been sick. But when df is sick enough to stay home from work the only thing he can do is get up to go to the bathroom. I have to bring him food and take care of him. When I'm sick and df is home I'm still doing everything.
Ds takes more naps, but otherwise he is himself when sick.
pittymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:09 PM

him. 

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM

My SO is the worst!

BusyQueenBee74
by New Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

sarcasmMy Hubby by far!! He is worse then the kids and acts like he can't do anything for his-self!! I tease him all the time when he gets sick and always ask him if he needs help in the bathroom since he is so sick > >>> He does not seem to appreciate my humor.

conweis
by Platinum Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 11:15 PM
My SO. He will push himself until he is too sick to care for himself and then complain.
.Angelica.
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:54 AM

the kids. dh isn't too dramatic when sick though i have never known him to have anything worse than a cold.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Mine is the same he will never say he's sick.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

In our house it is the kids. I actually have to force DH to admit he's sick and let us take care of him.

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM

honestly, I think we are all about the same in terms of "worst sick patient"

When DH is sick, he just wants to be left alone. He'll stay in bed and sleep for two days straight. I try to take care of him and bring him soup, but he just wants to be left alone to sleep.

When DS is sick, he gets a little whiney/tired, but its pretty easy to get him settled on the couch to snuggle with me and watch toons and then to get him down for an early bedtime. Last time he was sick, he was running around and playing like a normal kid in between puking.

When I am sick, I try to keep going like normal. I just want a little sympathy and attention. DH has to MAKE me go lay down and nap. and then 30 min later when i wake up, he has to make me go back to bed. I'm worse than a toddler with naps :)

None of us really ever get sick though. DH gets it bad once a year (maybe twice). DS and I rarely ever get more than the sniffles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)