Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Who Comes First, Your Spouse or Your Kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

A lot of moms say "the kids come first." But Ericka Souter, Editor of The Stir, is here to help us figure out how we can balance our priorities to leave time for Mom and Dad too.  

Who Comes First, Your Spouse or Your Kids?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:16 AM

My son comes first if it would ever come down to that. 

The thing that most don't understand when I say this is that our son needs mommy and daddy to be healthy and happy as well. We are the best parents we can be when we are healthy. 

CafeMom Tickers
GypsiSky
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM

There is no "first" for me. My husband and my children have equal, yet varying priorities in my life. Putting the children "first" in my opinion, may lead to a weakened marriage that could ultimately be detrimental to the entire family structure. I believe there is room for everyone at the top.

elasmimi
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Very well put, and exactly my feeling!

Quoting Hottmomma607:

There isn't t anything that happens in my life that I need to choose my children or my husband! My kids have their basic needs day to day,that's a given! We also focus on our marriage we believe in a strong,healthy foundation that keeps our family together! And if there is time were we need to take time for our marriage,kids don't suffer from it! They enjoy mom&dad 'dating'! :-)

sara_7106
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Our daughter comes first but we do make time for just us as well
ceciliam
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM

This is exactly how I feel.

Quoting Hottmomma607:

There isn't t anything that happens in my life that I need to choose my children or my husband! My kids have their basic needs day to day,that's a given! We also focus on our marriage we believe in a strong,healthy foundation that keeps our family together! And if there is time were we need to take time for our marriage,kids don't suffer from it! They enjoy mom&dad 'dating'! :-)

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM

My husband comes first.  I agree with the commentors who said that you need a good marriage to have a happy family.  Happy family, happy, healthy kids.  Putting my husband first doesn't mean I'm neglecting the kids or leaving them when they are sick or really need me.  It just means I'm making him a priority.

If you don't keep your marriage healthy, you'll be one of those couples who doesn't know each other when the kids all leave home.

arpazia
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:57 AM
My son comes first.
Dh says ds comes first too.
We have a very happy and healthy marriage. I don't think a lot of you really understand what the kid comes first means, and that's fine. I don't judge moms and dads who put each other first and I'd hope for the same curtesy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM

The kids come first on somethings, my husbad on others.

pittymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM

50/50. my daughter is my main focus during the day, and my husband is my main focus at night.

4kidz916
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I don't have a spouse so my kids come first. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN