Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

My MIL wants me to lock our three year old in his room at night!!

Are you kidding me Lois??  Just because he's getting out of his bed at night do you really think it's necessary to turn his room into a prison cell?

WTH Does anyone do this?? 

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Replies (191-200):
tardistraveller
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I did the same thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

My parents had a lock on the outside of our door when we were kids, I only remember being locked in once, by a babysitter who wanted to have sex with her BF.  She got fired.

With my child I'll admit to locking her door to get her to sleep.  She'd just keep getting up so I put a hook lock on it and I'd sit in front of it till she fell asleep then unlock it.  Only needed it for about 2 weeks before she figured out to just stay in bed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM

My SIL's child psychologist told her to do that with her two that will not stay in bed after they are put to bed.  The lock is on the outside of the door, and they unlock it it after the boys are asleep. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

What is the difference between locking the door and having a gate there?  Either way you are making it so they can't get out!  If you can hear them or have a monitor to go to them if needed, what's the big deal? I don't have a need to lock my kids doors though, but don't see the issue.  There is difference between throwing them in a locked room for hours on end and locking it so you have peace of mind and can get some sleep.  The kids that are young enough to need their door locked are not going to run out during a fire or emergency.  They're more likely to stay in their room and hide.  Most parents would always go to their kids first anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I sort of do. I put one of those door nob thingies on the inside of the door so they can't open it.
I had a friend once tell me her kids would get out of bed in the middle of the night and go into the kitchen and one time she went in and saw her oldest on the counter throwing knives at the younger brother.
I also heard a story of a little girl getting out at night and going outside in 15 below weather and freezing to death on the front step because she locked herself out and they didn't find her until morning.

My kids safety and lives are the most important thing in my life. I do NOT want to chance them getting up out of bed and me not knowing it and then something happen to them! That SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME!
NYChicago
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Never. That can be so dangerous, not to mention cruel. Supernanny seems to have a good method to stay in bed. It may take awhile the first night, but each consecutive night gets better.
neptunekitty
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Yeah I had to do this with my stepson for a little bit for his safety cuz he could get through child lock stuff and through baby gates but I had a moniter in his room too. The kids favorite thing to do was climb in and play in the fridge at night and If I sent him back to bed he would have major screaming tantrums at night.and as for fires the kid wouldn't know what to do if their was one. One day our fire alarm went off and he didn't even come out or ask what is is or anything. He's developmentally delayed. And potty wasn't an issue cuz he never got up to ever use that
neptunekitty
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:54 PM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

We have a baby gate up for our 1 & 2 year olds room. We do have the baby monitor in there. But if we leave the gate down, the 2 year old will get up at 5-6 and get into everything including climb up on the counters and such. If the gate is up, he will sleep until 7:30. I get up at 7. I take the gate down when I get up.

We are working on potty training so the gate is in the hall and the oldest can go into the bathroom and his room. That's it.

HappyMommyToo
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Absolutely not
Ginnygurl97
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM
She said that's how they did it back then. Funny my mom, aunts, and grandmother never did anything like that ......

Quoting momof35219:

Wth? Where do people come up with this stuff

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

Kinda like my mil telling me to tie my 4 month old to the chair to give him table food. :-(

jewel80
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM
No way!! Think about how much of a fire hazard that is too! I believe in kids sleeping in your room if they want to, why let them be scared?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement