Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

When it comes to dinner do you have a take it or leave it attitude?

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM
  • 18 Replies

Or are you a short order cook?  DH was brought up with his mom making practically separate meals for all the kids because one didn't like something and the other didn't like something else. I was brought up to take it or leave it?  What age is a child expected to eat what the rest of the family is eating??

by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chattycassie
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

My kid seat what I make for the most part. If they absolutely can't stand it I tell them to get a bowl of cereal. I am not cooking multiple meals.

conweis
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I am an eat it or starve parent. My SO's mom was an eat it or wear it type mom.
k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM

My dd is only 8 months but when she grows up and if she has any siblings, I will have the take it or leave it attitude. I will not cook a seperate meal for everyone.

brittany208
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on what I am cooking. If I am making something I KNOW DS will not like, then I will cook him something different, or cook him a modified version. Cant even think of any foods that would fit in this category right now though...

If I cook him something he may or may not like, then he has to at least make a valiant effort, and then I might get him something else. (Not a whole seperate meal, but let him to get some kind of easy food like apples or yogurt). This isn't often, but I know that some foods really aren't that likable and if he's tried it, thats sometimes good enough.

If its something I know he likes and he is just being picky, then the policy is "if you aren't hungry enough to eat what I made you, then you aren't hungry period. See you next meal"

jbjb1024
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM
My daughter is only 3 months old. But I don't think I can be a eat it or go hungry mom. My mom didn't do that for me and my sister. She didn't make seperate "meals" but we didn't have to eat what she made. She would make us a sandwich or scrambled eggs. Something that didn't take more then a few minutes to make. I think I will be like that
SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM

We are NOT short order cooks in this house, and we never have been. Dinner is dinner, period. I try to make sure that there is at least one thing on the table that everyone likes. We menu plan together, as a family. But at the end of the day, I have worked hard on dinner (or DH has) and everyone else can be thankful for that effort.

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Eat it or wear it?

Quoting conweis:

I am an eat it or starve parent. My SO's mom was an eat it or wear it type mom.

Seximama89
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I try to make 1 thing that everyone likes
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:19 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:10 AM

We always had the kids eat what we all were having :)

katvixenstar
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 4:07 AM
Sometimes i admit i have been a short order cook. But it drives me nuts doing that and lately i have been telling them they have to eat it or go to bed hungry. My son is so picky right now anyway -.-
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement