Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

When it comes to dinner do you have a take it or leave it attitude?

Or are you a short order cook?  DH was brought up with his mom making practically separate meals for all the kids because one didn't like something and the other didn't like something else. I was brought up to take it or leave it?  What age is a child expected to eat what the rest of the family is eating??

by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Replies (11-18):
lillucky8
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM
When it comes to dh, im take it or leave it. With the kids its harder, dd(2.5) is ridic picky, so usually what i do is make sure im making at least one thing i know she likes, like the veggie, then i have her try the other things and if she doesnt like them she can have applesauce or yogurt or soup or something easy, i often have options in the fridge for her ready. And for my ds hes still on baby food so his gets pulled from the freezer. Id love to just be able to serve a meal for everyone but thats prob not going to be an option for a bit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maries_Mom23
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Ok..I have a 6 year old dd who really doesn't like any kind of sauces or gravies or anything like that.  She does like BBQ chicken and that's it.  A lot of chicken dishes I make have a sauce or some kind of seasoning they cook in.  If I'm making something like that, I will just put her plain chicken on another baking sheet and put it in the oven.  But, as far as side dishes are concerned, yeah, take it or leave it.  

othermom
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Take it or leave it unless it is a make your own night. They get what everyone does after age 2.

othermom
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

Ok..I have a 6 year old dd who really doesn't like any kind of sauces or gravies or anything like that.  She does like BBQ chicken and that's it.  A lot of chicken dishes I make have a sauce or some kind of seasoning they cook in.  If I'm making something like that, I will just put her plain chicken on another baking sheet and put it in the oven.  But, as far as side dishes are concerned, yeah, take it or leave it.  

I will make my son chicken with no breading or skin since that is what he asks for, but he complains about it too sometimes, it is frustrating

liveforever
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM

My dd is 7. If im making something I know she really doesnt like, Ill alter it for her. I make a pasta with sundried tomatoes, spinach and pine nuts. I know she doesnt like it, so Ill leave some of the pasta out and she can put marinara on it. Other then things like that shell eat what we do. 

conweis
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM
If you didn't eat it.... wear it. My SO told me once he ddn't want squash so he just dumped it on his head. Hence wear it.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Eat it or wear it?

Quoting conweis:

I am an eat it or starve parent. My SO's mom was an eat it or wear it type mom.

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:21 PM

That's a new one on me!

Quoting conweis:

If you didn't eat it.... wear it. My SO told me once he ddn't want squash so he just dumped it on his head. Hence wear it.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Eat it or wear it?

Quoting conweis:

I am an eat it or starve parent. My SO's mom was an eat it or wear it type mom.

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM

i'll make whatever. i'd say it's 50/50....sometimes i will cook something for me and dh, and something for the kids. no biggie. kids dont like sauces and things like that. i cant expect them to eat general tso's chicken (what i made last night)....i also made chicken pot pie which they liked!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN